compression test results

mavereq

Established Member
don't trade it in man. buy a pair of fr500 heads for 15-1600 for the bare castings and get the fr500 cam kit. the cam kit comes with valves/springs/followers as well. you could have a kickass top-end on there for 3k in parts.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
Update

Here's the detailed information from the second opinion. The columns of data below should be labeled: "Cyl." "compression" "compression w/ a few drops of oil in each cylinder" and "leakage test results"
5 90 120 80%
6 70 80 90%
7 135 140
8 140 140

Air was coming out of cylinder 5 when the leakage test was done on cylinder 6. There was no leakage detected through: the intake valves, the exhaust valves, and the coolant. So, it has to be rings (faulty on 5; OK on 6), head gasket (bad between 5 & 6), &/or a warped head.

The car was in for service in March & April of 2004 (with only 7500 miles on it) to have the Throw Out Bearing replaced. While the car was at the dealer, it overheated. That's documented in the service invoice that I have.

I've made Ford Customer Assistance Center aware of all of this. I'm actually taking the car back to Fair Oaks Ford to have them verify all of the compression check/leakdown information so that when Ford Customer Assistance contacts Fair Oaks Ford, they'll get accurate information. Hopefully, Ford's going to come through for me and cover all (or a significant portion of the cost of repairs). I'm supposed to hear back from Customer Assistance on May 15th. So, I'll post after that to say how that goes.

Last edited:

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
I got a call from Fair Oaks Ford, when the car was in for the TOB repair 3 years ago, that said coolant was spraying out of the reservoir. So, they changed out the thermostat. That's all the information they gave me at the time. The service invoice does say that the vehicle overheating was a concern raised after the work order was already opened for the TOB repair.

ViciousJay

Established Member
hmmmmm something sounds fishy... theres a kid there i think his name is brad or somethign see fi you can talk to him... if thats not his name i know hes looks italian... his dad runs the sales department

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
good news & bad news

The driver's side cylinder head has been replaced, and the car has a new clutch and a new fuel pump. That's the good news. Oh, in case anyone's interested, Ford paid for $2,000 of the cost of the cylinder head replacement (since the car had only 32,000 miles on it at the time). The bad news (for me) is that I now have to sell it because my wife's going to give me too hard of a time when it needs it's next repair (and one of my sons has outgrown the back seat in the 4 years that I've had it). I'm going to try to get $21,000 for it. If anyone's interested, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread