Compression test results -

bearster18

Established Member
Decided to do a compression check on my 03 since I had the nice toolset borrowed . Car has 84k on the clock .

The whole right bank was 160 to 165 .
The left bank was 150 to 155 on all cylinders except 8. Cylinder 8 was 90psi. Wonderful. Also noticed a puff of blue smoke at start up sometimes .

Car doesn't run bad at all , actually pretty strong !

Where should I begin to diagnose this ?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Well, you could do watchfull waiting and keep your eye out for a deal on a shortblock or pieces to make up a shortblock. Since is running well, you have the time to deal with it to your cost advantage.

hotcobra03

Established Member
There have been many threads in the past on low numbers caused by tool or done wrong..

I've been a victim of cyl 6 twice with 0 reading..
Cyl 7 with 140 reading..

Both being simple head problem.

There have been some issues with lash adjusters which could play a part..

hotcobra03

Established Member
That blue smoke is so common..

I don't see it on mine but get what your saying. .

84k..car sits to much

Does this have 4 thread still?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The blue puffs of smoke at start up at times is what concerns me on top of that low number . Doesn't puff blue all the time just at randomness

Leakdown would tell you if compression was caused by leaky valve.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
When my car went in for a blower swap I had 90 on one too. Don't remember which one. They said it's not really that uncommon and it made 455 on the dyno with the 2.93 so they ran a can of seafoam through it. Compression came right back up to where it should be

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
When my car went in for a blower swap I had 90 on one too. Don't remember which one. They said it's not really that uncommon and it made 455 on the dyno with the 2.93 so they ran a can of seafoam through it. Compression came right back up to where it should be

How did they "run a can of Seafoam through it?" Did they add it to the fuel tank or some other application?

choate

Established Member
How did they "run a can of Seafoam through it?" Did they add it to the fuel tank or some other application?

suck it through the brake booster line. the car will act like it's going to die and will if you flood it with too much. pour it in a cup and let it suck it up a little at a time then let it sit for about 5 min. put the brake booster line back on, start the car and get ready for a smoke show

01yellercobra

Established Member
suck it through the brake booster line. the car will act like it's going to die and will if you flood it with too much. pour it in a cup and let it suck it up a little at a time then let it sit for about 5 min. put the brake booster line back on, start the car and get ready for a smoke show

Chances are they used a PCV line. We don't have a vacuum brake booster.

I've used it before and the car seemed to run better afterwards.

choate

Established Member
Chances are they used a PCV line. We don't have a vacuum brake booster.

I've used it before and the car seemed to run better afterwards.
Gotcha yeah I've done it myself on other cars/trucks. It fun to see the look on peoples faces when you go ripping down the road with a trail of white smoke coming behind you lol. Seaform has always worked well for me

01yellercobra

Established Member
Gotcha yeah I've done it myself on other cars/trucks. It fun to see the look on peoples faces when you go ripping down the road with a trail of white smoke coming behind you lol. Seaform has always worked well for me
I did it to my 98 GT and posted pics asking if something was wrong to mess with people.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Destro03

Established Member
Have any head cooling mods?
I second a burnt valves and guides. Been there done that. Damn you lil puff of smoke!
Fixed***

Users who are viewing this thread