Compression Test or Not?

sam90lx

Established Member
I have a 03 Cobra coming in from Dallas this week. I talked to a Ford Dealer here in Phoenix and I can have the Compression checked for around $100.00.
The car was Dynoed at Gearheads in Dallas and put down 476 RWHP and 489 RWTQ and the seller did a video clip of the pull and all looks and sounds well.
I just want to make sure there are no problems. If anyone would like to see the numbers and Dyno pull, it is ebay # 330227785546. Last small pic has a better copy of the Dyno sheet. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

sam90lx

Established Member
Within 20-30 days, they did'nt have the car very long.
They said the A/F ratio was 12.0...I think 11.5-11.7 is ideal as far as I can tell?

I would do a compression test. But will you be able to back out of the deal if the results don't sit well with you?

sam90lx

Established Member
Good question 01cobravortech. I have not signed any of the paper work yet, but I gave the seller a heads up that I may have the test done when it arrived. Thay have been awesome to work with and I thought it would be better to have the test sooner than later. I just dont know if I am over reacting, the car seems fine and these guys are very reputable on other forums, DFWStangs for one. Gearheads said it was a good car also.
I just keep reading the horror stories, of course anyone that hammers on them like some of the guys around here gotta expect the problems they are having.

Good question 01cobravortech. I have not signed any of the paper work yet, but I gave the seller a heads up that I may have the test done when it arrived. Thay have been awesome to work with and I thought it would be better to have the test sooner than later. I just dont know if I am over reacting, the car seems fine and these guys are very reputable on other forums, DFWStangs for one. Gearheads said it was a good car also.
I just keep reading the horror stories, of course anyone that hammers on them like some of the guys around here gotta expect the problems they are having.

You're certainly not over reacting the least bit. I'm sure you are well aware of how expensive a rebuild is. And who enjoys having to shoehorn a new motor in the car shortly after buying one? These Terminator owners drive these cars hard and some don't have very good tunes on the vehicles. The last thing you want is a bad motor after dropping so much coin on one of these cars. I did a compression test on my car before buying it and the dealer I purchased it from did not have any qualms about me doing so. They knew I was a serious buyer and it was done with in 48hrs of looking at the car. You should always be very cautious when purchasing a used vehicle especially if it no longer has a warranty. I hope things work out and hopefully your Termie is a stud!

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
Im going to be buying a Whippled or KB Cobra very soon and im going to get a compression check. My tunner said it would be a good idea. Cheap insurance. IMO

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I got a compression test done on my Cobra before I bought it, but it was not one where they use the spark plugs...he just hooked up a machine to a computer and put the pedal to the floor to see if there was a difference in compression...any ideaas? Maybe it wasn't a REAL compression test but I saw the results in my own eyes...no variances in the 8 cylinders:shrug:

mike302

03BLKVENM
Established Member
Just do the compression test your self! it's simple just buy the compression gauge kit (about $40) Remember you have to press the fuel shut off button i the trunk or take off the fuel line fuse off! when you do it and crank it about 4-5 times till you see the gauge won't go up any more!

sam90lx

Established Member
I remember someone else saying they had a Comp. test buy hooking up to a computer?
Not sure on that one.

And yes I bought it, should be here tomorrow. Nice car by the way!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Can't wait to see it....I just got mine a few weeks ago and everyday I start it up...it's like the first time all over again...

Users who are viewing this thread