Compression results - cause for concern?

hmwave

Established Member
2.8" pullied 2003 daily driver with just shy of 50K on the clock.
Hasn't been driven all that hard during its life.

Motor has been running rough for a while and seemed down on power with a misfire or misfuel when holding a constant 1500rpm, stationary or in motion.

I had the dealer check it out and they recommended a chemical decarbonization and chemical injector flush. They let the chemicals sit overnight and then flushed them out.
I changed the oil to be sure.

The motor is now running noticeably better but still not as well as it did a while back.

The pre-chemical compression test showed
#1 - 185
#2 - 180
#3 - 175
#4 - 180
#5 - 165
#6 - 160

#7 - 180
#8 - 190

#6 came up to 165 under wet testing.

They called that as engine showing signs of wear but recommended no further repairs. They suggested sticky valves on 5 and 6.

I should have asked them to do a leakdown but they had it all back together and I needed the car.

Cause for concern given the cylinder imbalance?

TrickStang37

Established Member
its not too far off spec. Their meter must not be all that accurate, seems to go in incraments of 5. that 160 might really be at 162 and then the oil did nearly nothing and it went to 163 and rounded up. Also, that 190 might really be 188 or whatever. Either way, those numbers seem acceptable to me for now.

mavereq

Established Member
when is the last time you changed your fuel filter?

just my $0.02, but i wouldn't trust the stock coils being that old. you could have the coils checked, but i'm told that bad coils don't always show up bad when you test them. you could swap out the coils for new factory coils, or you could go with aftermarket coils. i just started running the weapon x's.

what plugs/gap are you running?

Users who are viewing this thread