compression ratio vs boost?

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
I'm curious to know as I see a options out there that drop the compression in these cars just exactly what the pro's and cons are of dropping your compression ratio. I would imagine that also lowers your power output if your boost is static quite a bit. I would also think that it requires more CFM to be able to boost the same sized motor displacement wise. so I have many questions.

dropping compression-

does it make the normal driveability of the car any different?

do you lose any gas mileage as the engine doesn't compress as much causing a loss in mileage (I typically drive my car at will)

does it allow you to raise the boost safely enough to get to a higher power level than the same motor with a higher compression ratio with another safe tune?

does it allow you to run more timing without having to run higher octane fuel?

raising compression-

does this cause blower efficiency to go up, or down at the same boost levels, I would imagine power would increase significantly with higher compression than it would boost.

why not put a signifcantly higher compression ratio with lower boost, which makes the intake air temps lower because the blower is working much easier. example, put a whipple 2.3 at 13psi vs 18-19. bump the compression a point, from 8.5:1 to 9.5:1

I'm no wizz bang, so please educate me on the reasons for our given compression vs our given boost. consider that in these discussions lets just make it a normal 4.6L DOHC, all mods exactly the same except for compression and boost. timing being the adjustable factor for power and tuning considerations.

Users who are viewing this thread