Compression ratio vs boost question

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
I saw a couple people asking about increasing their compression ratio (when replacing pistions) and adding boost. Well my question is, what is the benefit of increasing the compression ratio at all??

My understanding is that, in equal comparison, boost is going to benefit a FI motor more than compression. From IAT 2's to timing that can be ran and afr

Also when you increase boost does that have any effect on compression? I know that we have a 8.5:1 compression ratio, so when you force more air into the motor does that increase the compresion ratio?

Thanks

bigmoose

Established Member
Also when you increase boost does that have any effect on compression? I know that we have a 8.5:1 compression ratio, so when you force more air into the motor does that increase the compresion ratio?

Thanks

No, compression ratio is just that, a ratio. If you force more air into the cylinder there is just more air to compress. the compression ratio is fixed based on the head, cylinder size, piston, and stroke. the ratio is found my measuring the volume when the piston is at the bottom divided by the volume when it is at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread