Compression ratio question...

Brad03GT

Established Member
Will the c.r. be any diff with a '03/'04 Cobra shortblock with some 2v heads? I thought I read somewhere that it'll make it higher than the Cobra's 8.5:1...?

caseypayne69

Banned
Mixing those blocks, and heads will cost you more money then it's worth. Better off buying a 2v block built for boost. Most guys, MMR, Vtech etc build boosted blocks way stronger, and for the same price you'd pay or less then the cobra block.

Brad03GT

Established Member
Well I can get a Cobra shortblock for around 1500 bucks. What all would I have to buy? I was told the 2v heads will work, just raises the compression??

caseypayne69

Banned
Is that a completely built short block? or just the Aluminum Block. You'd need enternals, which would cost you another solid 2 to 3 throusand bucks. Your gonna hate me for saying this, but why not a 2v block with the piston setup with pistons that will allow a 8.5:1 compression. 03/04 Cobra are Iron blocks, wile the 2001 Cobra is of an aluminum block which is just for weight saving. Just search performance shops for completely built aluminum, or iron boost ready short blocks. Usually run 2,800 on up to 4,500 for the block depending on what you want.

Brad03GT

Established Member
A shortblock is a block with the internal parts already assembled, a bare block is just that...JUST the block. From what I understand there were only a few Cobra's in '99 that came with an aluminum block and I don't really know if there were any that were aluminum in '01. I've priced bulit short blocks, rotating assemblies, etc... and that's why I was asking the question about the compression ratio with a 03/04 Cobra shortblock with 2v heads...

caseypayne69

Banned
My bad I over looked the shortblock comment. I think it's a matter of the piston size and the combustion chamber of the heads. You'll have to look up the piston size on the block you can buy, and see if the heads you have is the same combustion chamber size as the cobra's. Then if all equal, then equal compression.

Users who are viewing this thread