Compression check after overheating...bad results

bullitt1672

Established Member
A few weeks ago my 03 cobra overheated while cruising down the highway. It looks like it all blew out from the recovery tank, then overheated. It got hot enough that the car died. Im normally very good about checking my gauges often, that day wasnt one of them. After the car was towed home and cooled down I started it up to see if any smoke came out the exhaust, there was none and my oil looks perfect. I did a compression test today on the car and cant get more than 75 psi out of each cylinder and the gauge looks identical on each cylinder (bounces between 0-75 as the car cranks). The tester I borrowed is a nice MAC unit, but im curious if there is an issue with testers seating up tight in plug hole? I would think that even if the headgaskets were bad and/or rings fried, there would still be some variation among the cylinder pressure?? If that really is the compression I'm not going to bother doing a leakdown test on it, and am just going to sell the damn car as-is.

*All plugs are out of the car, fuel pump fuse is pulled, and throttle body is wide open when I'm doing the compression test. Squirting oil in the cylinder makes no difference in PSI.

MG0h3

Established Member
First thing I'd do is get a different tester.

I'm with you, unlikely that all cylinders are low at the same psi

hotcobra03

Established Member
I vote for tester being wrong..

some have had issues with different types..

hope things work out...ive over heated many times ..I've had issues with both 4 and 9 thread drivers head. .on newest now
and have over heated on this..

factory manual claims pcm will go in to fail safe mode and shut engine down before damage point..

Users who are viewing this thread