compound boost on a 3V

SCCA SM

Established Member
well, ive got a 3v with a built motor and a saleen blower. im not satisfied at 10psi that im seeing. i also doubt that i will be able to spin that blower to enough boost to make me happy without serious heat problems.

2.3 whipple and kenne bell, a 2.3 whipple wont be so much different from my 2.3 saleen that it will justify the cost of the whipple. that leaves 2.6 and 2.8 kenne bells. from what ive heard, they heat soak.

that leaves turbo. turbo will be able to have a large enough intercooler to cool the charge, and push enough air to make my power goals (700+rwhp on race gas or e85)

has anyone compound boosted a 3v? i know its a semi common practice with the gt500 and 03 cobra. why not a 3v? since the saleen blower keeps the throttle body in the factory location, one would think it would be failry simple to bolt a turbo kit up in addition to the saleen blower.

what are the opinions on this? kenne bell? saleen? whipple? turbo? compound? pros and cons on each.

thanks

Demonio

Established Member
Better have a built motor for compound boost. The ones I seeing on cobras put way to much torque that makes them hard to hook n wheel spin cause of high Torque and hp. But they make insane dyno power....

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would personally just do a Vortech YSI with a A/A.. You can spin the psi you want and be faster than a PD car and it's easy maintance. :beer:

SilverGTvert

Established Member
Agree with the others on the YSI or turbo for big horsepower. However, you can make 700rwhp with KB 2.6 on E85. For anything more than 700rwhp (2.6 @ 20psi) go with the 2.8 if considering a screw blower.

SCCA SM

Established Member
ive got the motor to handle 800+ rear wheel safely. it should even hold 900.

I was really just asking to see if anyone had compounded a 3v with a saleen blower and a turbo.

Demonio

Established Member
ive got the motor to handle 800+ rear wheel safely. it should even hold 900.

I was really just asking to see if anyone had compounded a 3v with a saleen blower and a turbo.

I have not see any 3v on compound boost, u be the first if u go that route

coposrv

Established Member
If the saleen intake is in the stock location I don't see it being a problem to get a turbo kit off the shelf and make it work physically. The only problem may be I the saleen blower has a heat exchanger up front. May have to be creative. Whether it makes power or not is the question. If anything take the saleen blower off and have a nasty 3c turbo set up.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Compound boost is great for a street car. I see 700 ft/lbs before 3,000 RPM. If you're up for making it work I'd go for it. Just make sure you have your cooling taken care of, turbos and a blower add a ton of heat to the air.

Users who are viewing this thread