Comparison of tunes on blown 4V's...

Wicked

Established Member
Guys,
I am trying to start a new thread to see what kind of tune, timing, boost, and power everyone is making.

Please reply.

2001 Cobra.
23K miles at current level of power.

Procharger P1SC pullied for 13 psi.
3 Core Intercooler.
03 Cobra Tank and Pumps.
42 lbers.
JMS Chip and 11 degrees of timing.
Pegged MAF at 5200rpm.
Needs a custom tune.

455rwhp/441rwtq

Feel free to post our dyno graphs as well.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
621rwhp, 464rwtq
pegged maf at 6600
novi 2000, 15 psi
13 degrees of timing
11.4 a/f fading to 10.9 at 7500 rpm redline.

Wicked

Established Member
Hmmm, is that the difference that timing makes on these cars? Thats huge. Nice combo.

blown01cobra

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
2001 cobra

procharger d-1sc 14#
3 core race intercooler
42# injectors
18 total degrees of timing
in 59 degree weather
03 cobra pumps and tank
jms dyno tune

569 RWHP
483 RWTQ

snowmancobra

Established Member
Eaton m 112 supercharger making 8 psi 3.60 pulley, complete 03 39# injectors, 03 cobra 90 mm Mass air, 03 cobra pumps modified to fit 99 tank, timing around 15 degrees 11.9:1 A/F

462 rwhp 423 rwtq

SCT TUNE by wicked motorsports

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Originally posted by Wicked
Hmmm, is that the difference that timing makes on these cars? Thats huge. Nice combo.

Wicked, you're probably well over 500 HP if your MAF pegged at 5200 RPM and you didn't take it any higher. Notice that quadcammer is running more boost and was able to spin the engine much higher before he ran out of MAF.

Wicked and Blown01 are you guys still on the stock internals?

99SVTAddict

Established Member
New tune, new shortblock (150 miles on it):

S-trim Vortech
AFM power pipe
Ported heads/intake
03 Cobra MAF, injectors, fuel tank/pumps w/ BAP
LT's

21 degrees timing
11.2 a/f to 7,000 RPM's
525RWHP 430RWTQ

87 degrees, 57% humidity the day of the tune. She has more in her I'd say :rockon:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Warning: Thread hijack coming.

Can someone straighten me out or link me an article that explains total timing vs. regular timing (or are they the same).

eg, blown01cobra says 18 degrees of total timing. 99svtaddict says 21 degrees of timing.

Quadcammer

Established Member
i have low compression, blower cams and a ported intake.

its non intercooled, untouched heads, shortie headers and o/r h pipe.

its really a simple combo.

plus the novi 2000 flows about 500 cfm more

lem, im pretty sure svt addict means total timing. his tune is just a bit more crazy

99SVTAddict

Established Member
Yes, total timing is at 21 degrees. I'm running 110 and 94 mixed. I may just go to 110 race gas 100%. I believe he said he could add another 1 or 2 degrees timing, and lean it out a little. I can't remember to be honest.

Oh, and my heads had bowl work, not a full P&P job. Cams are stock. Made power right up to 7K RPM then it started to fall so we didn't up the rev limiter past 7K.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
This is what I don't know:

Does 21 degrees total timing mean that the spark could fire up to 21 degrees before TDC (which would seem to lower power because you would have less compression at that point)? I thought the later the spark fired, the more power you would make.

Quadcammer

Established Member
octane is just a measure of how slow the fuel burns.

when you fire the mixture 21 degrees before tdc, you get a much more full burn of the fuel. hence more timing requires a higher octane which will burn slow enough to allow for the increase in timing.

firing the spark at say 2 degrees, you aren't getting complete combustion before the piston starts to move south.

there is other stuff like flame kernels and whatnot, but thats out of my league

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Ok, I understand that now. So, the earlier you fire it, the more power it will make, to a certain point at least.

If I recall correctly, there is a base timing with the computer will modify to fire earlier or later. I assume both the modifier maximum and base timing can be changed, so I would guess 21 degrees of total timing would mean that is base + modifer <= 21 degrees.

Is that even close?

Wicked

Established Member
Originally posted by lemosley01
Wicked, you're probably well over 500 HP if your MAF pegged at 5200 RPM and you didn't take it any higher. Notice that quadcammer is running more boost and was able to spin the engine much higher before he ran out of MAF.

Wicked and Blown01 are you guys still on the stock internals?

No we pulled to about 6500 but it was level at that point and starting to go lean. I think once we fix the pegging and AF it will make more power. The slope of the graph is nice until the poinbt where it levels off.

My timing is 11 degrees TOTAL.

Yes, stock internals, daily driven and flogged for 23K(36K total on the car) miles.

My graphs are here....click me

P1SC is noone's bitch. Its the best low rpm boost cent. IMO.

Last edited:

01cstang

Established Member
2001 cobra, forged motor
novi 2000 intrcooled(stock pulley)
03 pumps,kb 30amp bap
42lb inj.
pro-m80 tuned for 50lb inj.(soon to be sct)
18 deg. total timing.11.8afr till 6000rpm
x-pipe,bora cat back
fr500 vavletrain
tuned efi solutions(soon to be sct)
525hp 450tq @6000 rpm

Last edited:

UGAcobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Wicked

P1SC is noone's bitch. Its the best low rpm boost cent. IMO.

I was pointing out the fact they are truly in a different class from one another. The Novi2k is more in line with a D1 than a P1. The comment was made at the top of the thread that "Hmmm, is that the difference that timing makes on these cars? Thats huge." I was highlighting the fact that timing didn't have as much to do with the difference as the blowers being in different leagues.

Wicked

Established Member
Originally posted by UGAcobra
I was pointing out the fact they are truly in a different class from one another. The Novi2k is more in line with a D1 than a P1. The comment was made at the top of the thread that "Hmmm, is that the difference that timing makes on these cars? Thats huge." I was highlighting the fact that timing didn't have as much to do with the difference as the blowers being in different leagues.

Oh I understand completely. :-D The Novi2000 is definitely has higher level of potential then the P1. But at my boost I like the low end boost that the P1's straight cut impeller gives.

As far as the original statement goes, quadcammer then let on that he had cams and ported intake. So his 15 psi would probably be equivalent to 20psi on my motor due to his motor flowing better.
;-)

Users who are viewing this thread