Comp Cam Valve Spring Failure

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
Seems like I am always having to build and rebuild this car for one reason or another.... i previously melted a piston because i liked to party a little hard with the nitrous jetting, then i dropped an exhaust valve seat because the thermostat crapped out and over heated... most recently, I went for a drive around my neighborhood, pulled into the garage and was letting the car idle when i heard the very familiar sound of running on one less cylinder. Quick compression check confirmed my suspicion so out came the motor again.

Turns out one of these crappy comp cam beehive springs snapped, and after a call to their support we were told "there is no issues with the batch of springs, never has been, and we just sold 37 sets of those same springs" and sent our call to warranty department, which of course was just a voicemail box. During the time i was building the motor, i was warned by Modular Head Shop to not go with these springs due to the huge amount of failures being experienced (and posted all over the net if you search), but i had already made the purchase so tough lesson learned there. I post this as a warning that if anyone on here is one of those 37 sets just purchased, return them ASAP!!!!

5048844C-8418-4E9A-B53F-7E72F24036FE_zpsemcvsyvp.jpg

02F13DE6-3281-4ADC-8091-8A5948D6A1C4_zpsbzdt2e8y.jpg

Thanks for nothing Comp Cams.... at least now i have an excuse to do things right the second time around. :kaboom:

04D0B9B7-6C6B-4B8D-858D-514E6D72A668_zpsomjyteqm.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
How many miles were on those springs and about when did you buy them? I think I got the last set of good Comp springs in my other heads. That doesn't mean I haven't thought about swapping them if I ever use those heads again.

slonech

Dark Side
Established Member
I had bought the springs in June of 2011, but they probably had less than 100 miles on them total. I got started into my other projects and bought a house so i had zero time to enjoy the car between building the motor and the failure.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ouch! When I had MM&FFs old shake and bake it had comp cams springs, supposedly from after that whole fiasco but I had to tear the motor down I ditched em anyway for some Brian Tooley springs for peace of mind.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had bought the springs in June of 2011, but they probably had less than 100 miles on them total. I got started into my other projects and bought a house so i had zero time to enjoy the car between building the motor and the failure.

That's crazy that they went that fast. I bought mine back in 2009 and they have about 20k on them. Seems like after 2010 all of Comp springs went to crap.

Users who are viewing this thread