Common Mustang Clutch Problems, Causes, & Solutions

RedfireSVT

Established Member
timthumb.php

Clutch Problems, Causes, & Solutions

If you are having any issues with your clutch, this is the guide to check out! We walk you through some of the causes of the most common Mustang clutch issues and give solutions to these issues.

Link12579

Link12579
Established Member
Throw out bearing sounds

My car has been producing a loud sound similar to nails on a chalk board for a while now. It sounds exactly like what happened in my 2000 v6 when the throw out bearing went on her. Is there any simple solution to my issue or will i just have to replace it like i did on my v6? :??

03-REDFIRE-SVT

Established Member
rattling sound

I am getting a rattling sound coming from under the car that goes away when i press the clutch in about a half inch. my other question is my car has a ram hd clutch with the firewall adjuster. I just recently had ammco do the tremec t56 update like the bronze shift fork pads and all new syncros. Here's the question. Where should that adjuster be. When do I know when it is properly adjusted? ALEX

jays03cobra

Established Member
I also have an issue. I currently have a ram clutch. Not entirely sure what the previous owner put in but it's so hard to get first without causing some jumping. Is this normal with an aftermarket clutch? And will it feel kinda clunky when down shifting too? I'm told that I need a twin plate to get the smoother feeling like stock.

If you could shed some light on exactly how it works and is this normal with what I'm feeling.ty

Dragu1a

Established Member
i took the inspection plate off(which was loose) then put it back on and tightened it down. it still rattles a tiny bit, but it's waaaaaaaaaaaay better that it was.

ultimately i'm going to have to upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft, but this will at least hold me over until then.

04cobra88

Established Member
im having the same issue now I was posting in terminator talk I have some vids in there can the threads name is please help identify this noise, can you taker a look and see if its similar to yours? and by pilot bearing you mean tob right?

Dragu1a

Established Member
im having the same issue now I was posting in terminator talk I have some vids in there can the threads name is please help identify this noise, can you taker a look and see if its similar to yours? and by pilot bearing you mean tob right?

nope, pilot bearing. TOB was replaced a couple months ago, but they didn't look at anything else. i have my engine/trans dropped now for a cam swap so i had everything looked at while it was out...said my pilot bearing($20) was destroyed and that's what was causing everything to rattle around.

MonsterCookies

Established Member
Mines doing it as well. i was just planing on replacing the clutch but the car only has 14k miles on it. to me it doesnt seem like the gease would just dry out.. obviously the car has set alot and its extremely noticeable upon start up sometimes. seem like a tob? and how big of a deal is the piolt bearing?

Users who are viewing this thread