Commercial Vehicle Question

shhak

Established Member
I recently bought some shop equipment up in KY. I didn't have a truck big enough to pull the flatbed trailer that I needed to use to haul the equipment so I borrowed a truck from my parents car lot. The truck had AL dealers plates on it. The trailer, I own, and it is a 30' gooseneck with dual tandems.

I was pulled over in KY for a tail/brake light being out. The officer told me I had to run a log book, have a DOT number on the side of the truck, have a class A CDL (which I have), and all sorts of other stuff because it was a commercial vehicle. I tried to explain to him that it wasn't a commercial vehicle because I was using it for my own personal use, nothing commercial about it.

Another issue was that my drivers license show an experation date of my birthday in 2014. When he ran my license, it showed as expired on my birthday in 2009. I renewed it just 4 days after my birthday that year. I called my local DMV and found out that my license was valid, they just made a mistake on their part in the computer. They told me that they'd send me a letter confirming this and that ticket should be dismissed.

I was issued tickets for no seat belt, which I know I'm guilty. One for no log book, one for license (which I'm sure will be dismissed), one for a brake light being out, and one for a tail light being out.

My question is this....was I driving a commercial vehicle? It was my trailer, hauling (actually, on my way to pick up) my own equipment for my personal use, nothing to be used commercially. Any advice?

Last edited:

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
My question is this....was I driving a commercial vehicle? It was my trailer, hauling (actually, on my way to pick up) my own equipment for my personal use, nothing to be used commercially. Any advice?

I think the simple answer is yes. If it's a commercial vehicle, it's a commerical vehicle regardless of use. If would be like you owning a Tractor Tailer(Semi) and and using it on your off time to Move from one house to another. Just because you are hauling your couch in the back, you still have to stop a weigh stations etc because your in a CMV. I think in most states it boils down to the how it's registered, and its registered by weight and class. For example, I can register a Semi as with "pick up truck" plates. That would be my first guess, is to see how the borrow vehicle/Trailer was registered. As a trailer that big, at least in WI, would have to be registered.

Last edited:

shhak

Established Member
The trailer is registered as a farm trailer. The truck just had dealer tags on it. The ones that you can use on any vehicle owned by the dealership.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
With you having a class A I'm suprised you don't know the answer. The way I understood it down here back when I used to drive small trucks (Class D) the classification on the truck has to do with the physical properties; weight, width, etc.. As mentioned above I don't believe the use has to do with whether it is considered commercial or not.

shhak

Established Member
With you having a class A I'm suprised you don't know the answer. The way I understood it down here back when I used to drive small trucks (Class D) the classification on the truck has to do with the physical properties; weight, width, etc.. As mentioned above I don't believe the use has to do with whether it is considered commercial or not.

But see... that doesn't make sense either because you can register a semi truck as an RV which makes it a personal vehicle rather than a commercial vehicle.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
But see... that doesn't make sense either because you can register a semi truck as an RV which makes it a personal vehicle rather than a commercial vehicle.

Also, in most states you can post on the tractor/truck that it is a private vehicle "not for hire" and that takes it out of the commercial realm, however, it still lies there for insurance purposes.

The kicker in this situation is likely that you didnt own the truck that was moving the load. You need to check that State's statutes.

SASAP

Established Member
I think the simple answer is yes. If it's a commercial vehicle, it's a commerical vehicle regardless of use. If would be like you owning a Tractor Tailer(Semi) and and using it on your off time to Move from one house to another. Just because you are hauling your couch in the back, you still have to stop a weigh stations etc because your in a CMV. I think in most states it boils down to the how it's registered, and its registered by weight and class. For example, I can register a Semi as with "pick up truck" plates. That would be my first guess, is to see how the borrow vehicle/Trailer was registered. As a trailer that big, at least in WI, would have to be registered.

If the truck had a dealer tag why would he need a logbook? Ive worked at dealerships as a salesman and never once ran a logbook when Id drive demo's for a few months each and they always had dealer plates on them. As far as the trailer, if its listed as a farm trailer I dont see how its considered a commercial trailer.

I drive a truck now(tank truck, not an 18 wheeler) so I know all about running a log. I am only required to have a class B CDL though.

Users who are viewing this thread