Come on guys lets get real the new 5.0 has more then 420hp!

Scooters

On my forth Mustang
Established Member
First of all I said could, and quite frankly without knowing the tune, and VVT tables it would be impossible to guess. Ford said that the 5.0 would be rated at 420 hp in their preliminary press release, and I don't think that we are going to truly be looking at a 465 hp or 480 hp 5.0 for a stock GT. Without additional engine revolutions, and without knowing how the heads flow it is possible that Ford could definitely be focusing on improving the powerband instead of focusing on outright power.

Ford did not say it would be rated at 420. Read it again. It says "more than 420hp and 390tq". They are just not releasing that info yet.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Bigger intake and exhaust valves , stiffer valve springs, an oil cooler, revised high flow ports, charge motion control actuators, mid lock variable intake cam timing phaser, high lift intake and exhaust cams, forged steel crank and sinter forged connecting rods! Do you really think that all these new engine goodies add up 0 gain in hp and 6 lbs of extra torque. 420hp is reported for insurance reasons. This is a 450-475 hp engine, it's more then a boss engine which we know is 444hp!
Slightly more agressive cams and valves and charge motioj control is not going to be a big power increase. Seriously, the boss had cnc'd heads, better cam and valvetrain and a intake mani desogned tk make high rpm power and it only picked up 24hp over a gt. My guess is it will be less powerful than the boss. The heads and intake are a big deal on the boss and the new gt does not have those pieces.

Still nic3eimprovements, but some people are dreaming.

PSIHouston

PSIHouston
Established Member
It's probably going to be manifold limited. The last coyote was manifold limited this one would be even more so. It should make similar power as the boss maybe 440. The only real power upgrade it has over a boss is the intake cams but it's still breathing through a long runner manifold which hurts peak power.

The manifold won't hold it back. I have a 2012 GT with a stock manifold. Add a $300 Steeda intake and a $300 SCT off the shelf 87 octane tune and I put down 410hp AT THE WHEELS. Depending on your math and drive train loss that puts the crank hp well north of 450 hp. If I can get those results with a measly $600 and change of upgrades Ford can most certainly squeeze that and much more from the coyote!

germeezy1

Established Member
Slightly more agressive cams and valves and charge motioj control is not going to be a big power increase. Seriously, the boss had cnc'd heads, better cam and valvetrain and a intake mani desogned tk make high rpm power and it only picked up 24hp over a gt. My guess is it will be less powerful than the boss. The heads and intake are a big deal on the boss and the new gt does not have those pieces.

Still nic3eimprovements, but some people are dreaming.

Exactly, not to mention that the Boss had a higher 7,500 rpm redline which the GT will not receive. The GT did not have issues with power before, and there is no reason for Ford to take the GT way over Boss power levels when the GT is already faster than the other pony cars.

germeezy1

Established Member
The manifold won't hold it back. I have a 2012 GT with a stock manifold. Add a $300 Steeda intake and a $300 SCT off the shelf 87 octane tune and I put down 410hp AT THE WHEELS. Depending on your math and drive train loss that puts the crank hp well north of 450 hp. If I can get those results with a measly $600 and change of upgrades Ford can most certainly squeeze that and much more from the coyote!

You obviously don't understand all of the different factors including emissions that go into making power with a factory engine. If 450 emissions/ regulations legal hp was so easy to squeeze from the 5.0 then why did the Road Runner 5.0 in the Boss only have 444 hp?

blackvette101

Established Member
[
You obviously don't understand all of the different factors including emissions that go into making power with a factory engine. If 450 emissions/ regulations legal hp was so easy to squeeze from the 5.0 then why did the Road Runner 5.0 in the Boss only have 444 hp?

this is correct. To pull an extra 24 hp from the motor Ford changed the camshafts, added CNC ported heads, Short runner intake manifold, an extra 500 rpm, Forged internals.

read above

If you are comparing increasing hp through the aftermarket and increasing hp through the factory you really no nothing about how the factory does it. Your steeda intake/SCT tune combo does not have to meet worldwide enviormental standards, have to be tested to last 100,000+ miles, have to last in extreme temperatures under -20 degrees andup to 130 degrees ambient, Tested to survive even with inferior or foreign fuels, tested to stay at redline for minutes on end, hit specifically mandated fuel economy standards and apeal to the corporate bean counters. If SCT tunes your car to max hp on 87 octane and you get bad water dilluted gas and the engine goes guess who has to pick up the bill. If Ford tunes your car and it gets bad water dilluted gas and the motor blows Ford picks up the bill. They have much higher durability standards from the factory.

Why do you think they put forged internals in the BOSS when it only makes 445 hp and revs to 7500 rpm. People put the stock cast 5.0 internals to 700+ hp and 8000 rpm. Do you think ford added them because they wanted to waste money on more expensive parts.

And yes the manifold will hold it back. The manifold holds the current 5.0 back with inferior heads/cam. If it didn't manifold swaps wouldn't add power. An NA engine will only flow as much air as it's least flowing part. You can increase area under the curve with these mods to the new 5.0 but to significantly increase peak power with VE you have to physically increase peak air flow and the stock manifold has been shown to be a choke point without CM plates

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
[

this is correct. To pull an extra 24 hp from the motor Ford changed the camshafts, added CNC ported heads, Short runner intake manifold, an extra 500 rpm, Forged internals.

read above

If you are comparing increasing hp through the aftermarket and increasing hp through the factory you really no nothing about how the factory does it. Your steeda intake/SCT tune combo does not have to meet worldwide enviormental standards, have to be tested to last 100,000+ miles, have to last in extreme temperatures under -20 degrees andup to 130 degrees ambient, Tested to survive even with inferior or foreign fuels, tested to stay at redline for minutes on end, hit specifically mandated fuel economy standards and apeal to the corporate bean counters. If SCT tunes your car to max hp on 87 octane and you get bad water dilluted gas and the engine goes guess who has to pick up the bill. If Ford tunes your car and it gets bad water dilluted gas and the motor blows Ford picks up the bill. They have much higher durability standards from the factory.

Why do you think they put forged internals in the BOSS when it only makes 445 hp and revs to 7500 rpm. People put the stock cast 5.0 internals to 700+ hp and 8000 rpm. Do you think ford added them because they wanted to waste money on more expensive parts.

And yes the manifold will hold it back. The manifold holds the current 5.0 back with inferior heads/cam. If it didn't manifold swaps wouldn't add power. An NA engine will only flow as much air as it's least flowing part. You can increase area under the curve with these mods to the new 5.0 but to significantly increase peak power with VE you have to physically increase peak air flow and the stock manifold has been shown to be a choke point without CM plates

Finally someone who truly gets it. Nothing else to be said here. The rumors, and thoughts of 480, and 500 hp base GT Coyote 5.0s are no different than the New Edge size rumors.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Finally someone who truly gets it. Nothing else to be said here. The rumors, and thoughts of 480, and 500 hp base GT Coyote 5.0s are no different than the New Edge size rumors.

+1

I'm going to guess hp in the ~430's, tq in the ~410's.

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
440 hp and 400 tq sounds good for the new 15..

For 10, the stang got an increase of 15 hp so 20 now sounds about right:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread