Come on guys lets get real the new 5.0 has more then 420hp!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Bigger intake and exhaust valves , stiffer valve springs, an oil cooler, revised high flow ports, charge motion control actuators, mid lock variable intake cam timing phaser, high lift intake and exhaust cams, forged steel crank and sinter forged connecting rods! Do you really think that all these new engine goodies add up 0 gain in hp and 6 lbs of extra torque. 420hp is reported for insurance reasons. This is a 450-475 hp engine, it's more then a boss engine which we know is 444hp!

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Who said it was 420? Ford said "more than 420". That's their way of saying, "we're not gonna tell you, or the competition, yet."

specizripn

Established Member
What he said ^ I've seen a lot of people referencing the 420 as the Actual Stated Figure, but that would be incorrect...

Taneras

Established Member
I don't think it will go too far past 420, I think they want to hold back a little. I think 440-450 range is good. I think they certainly could go past, but might wait until later to do that.

kingnut

Established Member
Yall better hope they still offer recaros... if not 13/14 recaros price will double.

RTD

Established Member
Who said it was 420? Ford said "more than 420". That's their way of saying, "we're not gonna tell you, or the competition, yet."

This.

Everything from Ford has said more than the current GT without actually mentioning a number. Some early articles simply included 420/390 as the current number for a baseline. And then as usual, our retarded and incompetent press corps picked up on that, jumbled it, and started reporting 420 as the hp level for the new Mustang.

This car is essentially going to have a Boss-like head with even bigger valves, the exhaust cams from the Boss and the intake cams from the Cobra Jet, plus an upgraded version of the old GT intake manifold. No way it will be rated at 420, I don't even see it being rated less than or equal to the Boss' 444, I'm guessing more like 450.

blackvette101

Established Member
It's probably going to be manifold limited. The last coyote was manifold limited this one would be even more so. It should make similar power as the boss maybe 440. The only real power upgrade it has over a boss is the intake cams but it's still breathing through a long runner manifold which hurts peak power.

kingnut

Established Member
They are gonna keep it modest at like 435 to 440. By the end of the run the 17, 18, or 19 will have like 460.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Yall better hope they still offer recaros... if not 13/14 recaros price will double.

Recaros are standard w/ the Performance Package (EB 4 and GT for now).

attachment.php

2015-Ford-Mustang-Hollywood-Event-Reveal-interior-seats.jpg

JX3C4473.jpg

JX3C4486.jpg

Last edited:

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
So the 2015 5.0 will be much quicker than the 2011-2014 5.0 models?

The target in performance for the GT was the outgoing BOSS. Being a little less lighter and more powerful, the 2015 will be considerable quicker than a 2011-2014 5.0 GT and will have more less the same performance as a 2013-14 BOSS.

Voltwings

Established Member
Keep in mind, while the new 5.0 will have several upgraded components, comparing it to the Boss engine is still apples to oranges i believe at this point.

I forget which video, but when American Muscle was talking to one of the engineers asking about horsepower, he said they didnt plan on raising the redline to make the new power. Now, thats slightly arbitrary, depending on which redline he's talking about.

If its the current Coyote's ~6700 rpm redline, we would probably not see very much in terms of peak gains, but curve gains would be huge with these flow mods. If its the Boss's ~7400 rpm redline, now made available to the GT via the valve springs, seeing 450+ would be much less unreasonable. Its something that is still slightly grey at this point until we have more information.

americansteel

Banned
Bigger intake and exhaust valves , stiffer valve springs, an oil cooler, revised high flow ports, charge motion control actuators, mid lock variable intake cam timing phaser, high lift intake and exhaust cams, forged steel crank and sinter forged connecting rods! Do you really think that all these new engine goodies add up 0 gain in hp and 6 lbs of extra torque. 420hp is reported for insurance reasons. This is a 450-475 hp engine, it's more then a boss engine which we know is 444hp!

the current 5.0 puts out 445HP 6600RPM at the crank. depending upon variables like air temp elevation/altitude the mustang puts out 384-395HP at the wheels.
with long tube headers the 5.0 puts out 459HP crank power while at stock 6600RPM
CAI and throttle body's do not offer much gains!
ive seen the statement that ford made about stiffer springs and bigger valves. I think I have a feeling on what size valves they are going to use.
bigger cams! they said they will add bigger cams to the 5.0 and still be at the current 5.0s redline which is at 6600RPM, that's bullshit! if ford is going to be using bigger cams and stay at 6600RPM they will need to stay at the same duration as current 5.0 has just with a bit more lift. if they add duration that raises the 5.0 6600 redline to an easy 7100RPM
who revs there engines that high? most people that buy mustang GT's they don't even see the factory rev limit nor do many even see 6000RPM.
the smaller the engine the higher that engine has to rev to make a certain desired number in the RPM range where as a bigger cubic motor does not have to rev as high as say a 5.0 would do!

Voltwings

Established Member
^^ The "theres no replacement for displacement" dick called and said you can stop sucking now.

We wont have a larger engine, we will have a 5.0, take it or leave it.

While somewhat true, your argument is flawed for several reasons, but ill start with a basic one. The foxbody 5.0 made 225 with a 5500 rpm redline, even though power starts to taper before that. Now, as we know more revs = more horsepower, but the entire 200 horsepower difference between these two engines is not made up by simply raising the redline 1100 rpms... the coyote is obviously a superior breathing motor in all respects, and sees more power throughout the curve than a similarly sized engine because of it. Theres more than one way to skin a cat as they say, revs are important, but they're not the only variable in making horsepower.

Last edited:

40calcobra

Established Member
the current 5.0 puts out 445HP 6600RPM at the crank. depending upon variables like air temp elevation/altitude the mustang puts out 384-395HP at the wheels.

Huh? Are you talking about the 13-14 5.0 or the boss engine? You're way off base if you speak of the non boss 5.0

Users who are viewing this thread