Combating radiant heat

Snakebitten

5150 SVT Poster
Established Member
A member went to a race where there a few Boss's. He noticed that all of them had their intakes wrapped in heat blocking material. I figured they must know something.

It's been super hot in San Diego lately and each summer will get a little worse. I've already cut the hood blanket away from the vents to allow more heat to escape.

Link removed by moderator.

I first wrapped the C&L air box in the HS mat.

boxbefore_zps6d1b0b52.gif

Adhesive side of mat:

sheet_zpse1fd9fae.gif

After.

boxafter_zps85e50c4b.gif

I then used the tape to try and seal up the box a little.

insidebox_zps7848a2b1.gif

I then used the tape and wrapped the intake tube. Here is the final product. I know it's ugly and won't win any car shows, but hopefully it will help with heat soak and reducing IAT's. I still need to test it.

frntheat_zpsa03e5975.jpg

backheat_zps3df532e3.jpg

Next, I'm going to try and seal the filter off more with some kind of shield on the open side.

CCS86

Established Member
I've done the same thing to my stock air box, intake tube and fuel lines. I picked up a roll of hot water heater insulation, which is 1/4" thick foam, adhesive on one side, metal foil on the other. I used metallic tape to assist it in staying put.

With the 100*+ days we were having, the cat felt really muddy and lost its edge. Between my insulation and fog light removal, I got a lot of the crisp feeling back. A very noticeable improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread