Combat Firearms "Report Card" from Iraq

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
IIRC, the original Stoner rifle had a barrel twist of 1:12 or so, which was really not sufficient to stabilize the 55 gr. bullet; hence the tumble. Of course, that also adversely affected accuracy, and there was a propensity for foliage to deflect the bullet. The current crop of military 5.56 rifles uses a 1:7 twist, which is optimal for up to about 69gr. pill. The military FMJ projectile punches a neat hole through the target, admittedly doing a lot of tissue damage.

1:12 is plenty sufficient for 55 grain bullets but it's about at the top of its weight limit before you get keyholes. 1:7 is way overkill for 69gr. bullets and I have no idea why the military uses it when standard ammo is 55 and 62gr. 1:9 is optimal for 69gr, and a 1:8 will stabilize even the longest heaviest 80-90gr. match bullets.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
1:12 is plenty sufficient for 55 grain bullets but it's about at the top of its weight limit before you get keyholes. 1:7 is way overkill for 69gr. bullets and I have no idea why the military uses it when standard ammo is 55 and 62gr. 1:9 is optimal for 69gr, and a 1:8 will stabilize even the longest heaviest 80-90gr. match bullets.

I was going to say the same thing about the twist rates and grains.. My 1:9 twist has zero problems with anything under 75 gr.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
I was going to say the same thing about the twist rates and grains.. My 1:9 twist has zero problems with anything under 75 gr.

I shoot even the really high BC 75gr. bullets out to 1000 yards with a 1:9 twist bolt gun and have never had a problem.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
You know, its not totally correct, if you keep your shit clean or at least combat clean it daily the chances of jamming significantly decrease. I never once had any weapon jam issues other than a double feed or two with my m-16 but that is from the old ass magazines. Never carried a saw in theater but they are prone to issues if not kept clean either.

9A Pilot

durability tester
Established Member
I've learned that the trick of keeping an M-4/ M-16 running is keeping the dust cover closed & keeping the bolt carrier wet with a quality lube.
Rifle length gas systems ala A2's are better than carbine length. But the carbine has all but replaced the A2 in front line units.

Users who are viewing this thread