com cams 4.6 adjustable cam gears

fastlx1

Established Member
Just finished assembling my short block, heads are all back together and are on engine and torqued. cams and all timing components are installed as well. Also installed the comp cams 4.6 adjustable timing gears on this 4v engine. was gonna degree the cams myself but I'm too busey to mess with that headache so I'm gonna have PK Machine in Fitchburg MA to do it. Spoke with Paul over there and he tells me that he doesn't like the fact that I installed the adjustable timing gears, says it's a posible point of failure. So he tells me he degrees them with an adjustable crank gear instead. Now that's all well and good but I have already paid the $250 for the comp gears and installed them so I would rather use those. Has anyone had ANY problems witht the comp adjustable 2v/4v timing gears before or has anyone had the screws back out or the gears fail and cause engine damage? I'm gonna bring him my engine tomorrow so I need advise ASAP, thanks!

Sagittaria

Established Member
I've never heard anything about the comp cams ones but everyone gives praise for the Cloyes adjustables... in fact people say they're a must with a 4V mod motor cam swap.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Cloyes adjustable cam gears use an accentric insert to adjust and hold the setting and are not likely to move. Most of the aftermarket adjustable gears just use slotted holes that may slip and loose adjustment.

I would get the Cloyes gears.

Users who are viewing this thread