Color sanding and buffing experts come in.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Hey guys I wanted to know what is color sanding.

My cousin just painted his Cuda base/clear and now he's stuck at the most important part, the finish.

We sanded the car with 600 and then we wet sanded the car with 1500. Then we used a buffer with some polishing compound but it's still not shiny. He used PPG paint and a professional gun but the paint looks very dull and orange peel is almost everywhere.
Do you guys have any suggestions?
Also, alist of products would be also greatly appreciated. Such as which waxes, compounds and tools.

To the mods, if this is the wrong forum sorry and fell free to move it. I just thought my fellow Terminator owners would be best to ask as they are all True car guys and I value their opinions. This could also be a a good tool for those who wish to get info on painting their cars.

J15BIG

Established Member
Ive been working at an auto body shop for a few weeks now and I see the guys color sand all the time. Are you sure about the first part you guys did? Dry sanding with 600 grit? The guys at work never do that. When something comes out of the booth, they just wet sand it with a high grit and polish it. Looks amazing when they are done. They use Production products.

http://www.nvo.com/prodcarcare/door/

Last edited:

FordFreak

Established Member
Do you know if he shot clear over the base coat?
If the coats are thick enough you need to sand all the orange peel out. Stay away from the body lines. Sand right up to them, but dont touch them with the paper. Thats how people cut through the paint.
If the paint isnt shiny after buffing then you used the wrong polishing compound. Try something finer.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Color sanding is just final sanding with very fine grit sandpaper. (like 2000+ grit) Takes out trash and imperfections out of a fresh paint job.

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
DO NOT use 600 grit to wetsand clear coat:bash: 600 grit is mainly used for prep before painting. How many coats of clear did you apply and what size tip was on the clear gun? If there is still too much orange peel, I recommend reclearing the car because u run the risk of sanding through the clear and the clear will be too thin to provide UV protection and will dull out fast. If there is enough clear then use 1500-2000 grit to wetsand the orange peel areas. Then get 3m#5933 compound with a 3m wool pad(white) #5719 i believe.
Then use 3m polish with a polishing pad(black). They have two bottles, 1for dark colors and one for light colors.
Use low speeds.
You have to use compound to buff the wetsand scratches out, then apply polish. These steps will shine your car right up.

Good luck
Scott

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Thanks for the tips guys.

Sadly I smashed my Cobra today and the bumper and driver side fender need body work and paint. I'll take it as an opportunity to see how the pros do it first hand.
Funny coincidence I guess.

Also, do not let your girlfriend put your car in the garage. She just might forget to press the brake and ram your car into the wall. What a bad day.

Users who are viewing this thread