College textbooks?

Fuerza

Established Member
Gents, my wife is starting college in a few days. We were talking about her books for classes and I mentioned the idea of using a Tablet for her textbooks. I was wondering if this was a good idea? I finished college a few years ago before the Tablet boom. I hated buy/ordering textbooks online then selling them after the classes. Is getting her a tablet to rent or buy textbooks on say Amazon a better option these days? Any other suggestions are also welcome.

txyaloo

Established Member
I wouldn't use a tablet for textbooks. You're not going to save much money going that route. Ebooks really aren't discounted in price by much.

Check out chegg.com. Their textbook rental prices are hard to beat. You'll pay about what an ebook costs.

S7OCK_03

WHIPPLED
Established Member
Gents, my wife is starting college in a few days. We were talking about her books for classes and I mentioned the idea of using a Tablet for her textbooks. I was wondering if this was a good idea? I finished college a few years ago before the Tablet boom. I hated buy/ordering textbooks online then selling them after the classes. Is getting her a tablet to rent or buy textbooks on say Amazon a better option these days? Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Make sure that if the Prof. does open-book tests, they will allow an electronic device or whatever.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Well if you download them online then Hell yes! But since most books probably can't be found online I would just go the used route on Half.com

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
even if you can get them, I think its bad idea as the tablet itself will get distracting when reading a boring text book, just my take on it, but most people don't have the self control including myself

txyaloo

Established Member
Well if you download them online then Hell yes! But since most books probably can't be found online I would just go the used route on Half.com

The problem with that is you still have to get rid of them at the end of the semester. 99% of the books I got from Chegg were brand new and they paid to ship them back. You're usually out more than $50 buying used and reselling them which is about what Chegg charges for books. Plus, books with access codes actually come with them from Chegg vs used where you have to plop down another $20-50 for an access code.

MissGT23

Established Member
even if you can get them, I think its bad idea as the tablet itself will get distracting when reading a boring text book, just my take on it, but most people don't have the self control including myself

I agree with PSUCOBRA96. I have the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread