cold starting

3ohh2

Established Member
Anyone else having trouble starting their SVTF in the cold weather? 11 degrees this morning and I had to turn it over 6 times before it stuttered to life. Spent like 5 minutes to get the damn thing started. None of my carbs took this long to start up! Its has been progressively getting worse as it has gotten colder (more time to start at the temp drops) but I did a full tune up over the summer. I'm guessing this is just the nature of the beast..... just venting...

jasonpalamar

Established Member
You said tune up... did you replace your battery, clean the battery terminals. Maybe the starter itself is going bad?

Things I would do. Check your cold cranking amps. Then clean all terminals. Batteries generally run directly to the starter. Make sure that is a solid connection. Then test your alternator.

Hopefully you can get it all fixed. My canks slower in winter like most cars do, but I have no starting issues.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Cold Weather Package here ---> Engine Block Heater!:banana:

It was about ~5 degrees this morning and my car fired right up. No problems at all. Still runnning the factory battery too.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Mine cranks all day long when it's cold, but wont fire for nothing when it's close to 0*F. Like it has no spark, but I checked that, not the problem. I'm at a compleate loss to this as well. I could understand the slow cranking, but that's just not the problem. I just sum it up to the down side of a fully built motor, and a shit ton of boost. lol I think I just need to upgrade the fire power. But for now, it stays in the garage at night.

3ohh2

Established Member
i have the block warmer but live in an apartment with where to plug it in!!! but now that the weather has come back up to the 30-40's this week it cranks up on the first try every time. the car is just sensitive to cold weather

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
Ford says to push in the gas pedal while you turn the key. This is a normal thing when it is clod out. Even the Nissan SER does it. Mine did it (when I had it) annoyed the piss out of me, but what do you do unless you can plug it in

19TbirdSC91

SC to SVT...
Established Member
Ford says to push in the gas pedal while you turn the key. This is a normal thing when it is clod out. Even the Nissan SER does it. Mine did it (when I had it) annoyed the piss out of me, but what do you do unless you can plug it in

What about that guy that did that to his car and had the intake manifold essentially explode on him? I imagine that's not supposed to happen. lol

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
What about that guy that did that to his car and had the intake manifold essentially explode on him? I imagine that's not supposed to happen. lol

I wouldn't suppose, but I am sure that isn't very common now is it? :lol1:

jasonpalamar

Established Member
Im going to guess that it's not common at all. But I do know that it HAS happened. And that would absolutely suck to say the least.

Sean

I can't see how it would explode. If there is too much fuel and no more air, it isn't going to burn, it will just go through the exhaust and the cats will take care of it. Air/fuel ratio is what burns, it won't explode or burn better with just more fuel. And starting your car with your foot on the gas would make your car lean out while you start it. Probally not good in general but not something to cause an explosing. I'm sure there is more to that story then just starting with the gas petal down. That just allows more air in, not more gas.

3ohh2

Established Member
I would run an extension cord from my apartment but Im on the 3rd floor and I dont think my neighbors would really appreciate that, maybe next year i'll run a string of x-mas lights down to get my neighbors in the mood!

I dont think holding the pedal down is going to turn it over. I'll pump it once or twice even though it really doesn't do anything, just makes me feel like im driving the stang!

Its warming up here now so it hasnt been a problem in the last few weeks. It really only became a problem when the weather went below 20F

svt_foci

Don't Answer
Established Member
I would run an extension cord from my apartment but Im on the 3rd floor and I dont think my neighbors would really appreciate that, maybe next year i'll run a string of x-mas lights down to get my neighbors in the mood!

I dont think holding the pedal down is going to turn it over. I'll pump it once or twice even though it really doesn't do anything, just makes me feel like im driving the stang!

Its warming up here now so it hasnt been a problem in the last few weeks. It really only became a problem when the weather went below 20F

I am telling you from first hand experience with both cars. Do as you wish. The lights would be funny as hell.

Then it was deffective, nothing to do with starting. Probally a long term issue that wasn't fixed/noticed

NO I'm sure it was the gas pedal :lol1:

3ohh2

Established Member
5am 20 degrees outside and it finally happened. car wouldn't start. cranked it 7 or 8 times but never fired. turned over normally every time just didnt fire up. had to get a ride in and was 30 minutes late. POS! ...and I know when I get home its going to be 40 out and it'll fire right up. and when it starts, it drives fine. .....This has got to be something other than the cold, but what can I do to get this thing running in this weather? I did a tune up done over the summer, so what else could it be? ....haven't had a chance to put in the new fuel filter, guess i'll start with that. maybe a battery w/more CCA. any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread