Cold start oil burning

91GT

Established Member
I have a question for a Friend with an L. Wondering if you guys have heard of this before.

It smokes a good bit when started cold and the two rear plugs are fouled pretty good with oil.

The previous owner bought a kit that had something to do with the PCV system that was supposed to fixt the issue, however it still smokes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lightning&Stang

12 oz vs 12 lb? Bye beer
Established Member
I have a question for a Friend with an L. Wondering if you guys have heard of this before.

It smokes a good bit when started cold and the two rear plugs are fouled pretty good with oil.

The previous owner bought a kit that had something to do with the PCV system that was supposed to fixt the issue, however it still smokes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mine does this too...but it's just a puff of smoke when started cold.

02_lightning_NP

Air Assault
Established Member
all of our trucks do it because of the vcacuum caused under boost which sucks the oil out of the valve covers and into the plenum, if your friend has alot of smoke and his plugs are fowled out it most likely NOT caused by this, he needs to get the valves checked in his heads cause he might draining oil into the combustion chamber from them. just a thought tho

91GT

Established Member
mine too... I think this is the oil is sucks up into the upper intake from the PVC

all of our trucks do it because of the vcacuum caused under boost which sucks the oil out of the valve covers and into the plenum, if your friend has alot of smoke and his plugs are fowled out it most likely NOT caused by this, he needs to get the valves checked in his heads cause he might draining oil into the combustion chamber from them. just a thought tho

Anyone have any fixes for this?

I have my doubts on it being the valve seals/guides. Only seems to be an issue with the rear two holes and it doesn't smoke a ton.

02_lightning_NP

Air Assault
Established Member
i remember a while back a thread about stock heads have really nasty hot spots that form at the rear of our heads when pushed realy hard and they can actually melt the heads if pushed to bad. not all heads i guess just some he may have just warped the valves if the main heat soak spot is in fact in the rear end of said heads. never know just throwing out ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread