Cold start knock??????

jlg32281

Established Member
My 98 cobra has a slight knock for about 5 sec. on a cold start. How long do I have before replacement? I'm really looking for success and failure stories. I want to hear from those that had this problem and drove it another 100k or had this problem and it died 1 week later. I'm pretty broke, so I'm hoping it can go like this forever. I've had similar problem with a foreign car that was still knocking when I sold it 70k after it developed the knock. When it developed the knock, I started putting Lucas oil stabilizer in it and that help some.

Car details: Engine is completely stock. The mufflers have been swapped with Flowmasters. Suspension is upgraded, but shouldn't have anything to do with my problem. It's my daily driver and I drive it very conservatively (rarely go past 3k rpm's). Car has 90k on it now.

BLKVNM97

Vnmouss
Established Member
My 98 cobra has a slight knock for about 5 sec. on a cold start. How long do I have before replacement? I'm really looking for success and failure stories. I want to hear from those that had this problem and drove it another 100k or had this problem and it died 1 week later. I'm pretty broke, so I'm hoping it can go like this forever. I've had similar problem with a foreign car that was still knocking when I sold it 70k after it developed the knock. When it developed the knock, I started putting Lucas oil stabilizer in it and that help some.

Car details: Engine is completely stock. The mufflers have been swapped with Flowmasters. Suspension is upgraded, but shouldn't have anything to do with my problem. It's my daily driver and I drive it very conservatively (rarely go past 3k rpm's). Car has 90k on it now.

motors are overhead cam and the oil is at the bottom and it takes awhile for it to reach the heads and cams, hence when it reaches it then knock stops...hope it helps.

jlg32281

Established Member
I know it's has an overhead cam and all, but surely it's not supposed to knock on a cold start. Does everybody have this problem?

jlg32281

Established Member
It does go away completely after about 5 sec. I'm new to the newer mustangs (my last one was a 69) and wanted to just have some opinions on what to do. If it isn't a serious problem, I'll drive it like it is until I can convince my wife that it is a serious problem and that I need to buy a new forged short block and swap it. lol.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
This could be caused by a lot of things. Tensioners on the timming chain (pumped up by oil) can cause this. Connecting rods, cam journals, crank and crank bearnings, oil pump, and even something as easy as the wrong oil. Its up to you. Drive it until it blows up....or find out what is causing the noise. Pay now or pay even more maybe later...never know. I have one that started that way and now it is on an engine stand waiting on a rebuild. If it gets worse you will have your answer.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
My car will do this after it sits. What I do is unplug both coils and turn it over just using the starter motor until I think the oil pressure is built up, then plug the coils back in and start it. Sometimes it rattles even after only a day, but not all the time. I think its the chain slapping the rails, or the tensioners.

jlg32281

Established Member
It sounds like rod knock to me, but I don't know much about these cars. How do I test it to see what it is? Any tricks to these engines? I will try to pay attention in the morning. Before when I had rod knock on an import straight six, I just stuck my head under the car when I started it and I sounded like it was coming from the bottom end of the engine. Later I reworked the head, so I know it was rod knock. It knocked for 70k until I sold it. I'll pop the hood when I start it in the morning and see if I can tell if it's coming from the head or from the bottom end. If it's a tick, how long do I have? If it's a knock how long? This car is somewhat new to me and I noticed it about three weeks ago. It was probably doing it before that, I just hadn't noticed. All ideas and opinions welcomed.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
is it a growling/slapping noise that sounds like something is coming apart? if so, its just the timing chain tentioners, nothing to worry about. they just need to pump up with oil to tighten the chains.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If it is a tick it should last a long while.
Although I'm not advising you to leave it alone but it really depends on the problem, as said if it is the tensioners they just need to pump up. But reving the motor like I've seen some do before the chains are tight can be bad.
Crank it and let idle until the noise stops before you touch the gas.

If it is a rod knock I fix it ASAP. If it does decide to spin the bearing you may do more harm to the block, crank, rods, etc.

Last edited:

heckie

Established Member
Mine sounds like my valves when i start it but i also havent changed my oil either so i think thats my problem

Users who are viewing this thread