Cold air kits that fit 97 Cobra with STB

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Before someone takes out the Noob-Away® spray, please know I tried several times on more than one day to do a search on this topic but kept getting an error (even after clearing all cookies) .

I'd like to find a cold air kit (preferable to fenderwell) that I can put on my 1997 Cobra without removing my strut tower brace. I have no problems with notching or modifying it for clearance, I just don't want to remove it completely. And yes, I know this will provide only negligible power gains at best. At least it will allow me to clean up the looks of the engine bay while I save for a rebuild. I'm also not interested in any of the chrome cold air kits. (If it wanted even more hot air in my engine, I'd shove my husband under the hood). Thanks in advance for your help. :beer:

Melissa

mystic venom

Established Member
The WMS ceramic allows you to still use the strut tower brace. I like you want to keep the strut tower brace so I am going with the jlt budget kit for the lower and getting a upper WMS tube. The complete WMS is kind of expensive though 450 but it does go into the fender, about the only complaint ive heard from these is that the filter they use are a little small but most say they have gotten decent gains, and they compliment the engine bay.

Jims97cobra

9COBRA7
Established Member
Street Smart Design makes a CA kit that will fit a '97 Cobra with the STB installed. The kit has to be installed using these steps:
1. Install the throttle body boot onto the throttle body.
2. Install the STB.
3. Install the intake tube to the throttle body boot making sure it engages the boot just enough to secure the boot to the tube using the clamp.
4. Install the remainder of the kit.
I had problems installing the STB, so I contacted SSD's Tech Support & got the above instructions from them. Here's their web site address:

http://www.ssd4u.com/streetsmart_068.htm

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Melissa....welcome to the site. I've also got a '97 Cobra which I didn't want to remove the STB with a cold-air. I got a C&L inlet pipe(you can find them pretty cheap on E-bay) and purchased the Budget kit from JLT performance. The Budget kit includes a cone K&N(you'll need to get the 6" one) and a heat shield. I had to do a little "modifying" of the hoses, but everything's working now and if you go this route I can show ya how to do it. Here's a pic to see how it all turned out.

img_0378sm.jpg

Hope this helps

SnakeR

Established Member
Jims97cobra said:
Street Smart Design makes a CA kit that will fit a '97 Cobra with the STB installed. The kit has to be installed using these steps:
1. Install the throttle body boot onto the throttle body.
2. Install the STB.
3. Install the intake tube to the throttle body boot making sure it engages the boot just enough to secure the boot to the tube using the clamp.
4. Install the remainder of the kit.
I had problems installing the STB, so I contacted SSD's Tech Support & got the above instructions from them. Here's their web site address:

http://www.ssd4u.com/streetsmart_068.htm

No way to install the kit with the STB in place? :shrug:

SnakeR

Established Member
97CasperCobra said:
you've got to take off the STB to install any kit.

Any problems putting the STB back in place?

I've read of people taking the STB off and not getting the holes to line up, resorting to jacking the car on each side for the reinstall.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I just got the Densecharger meter forward CAI. It's black PVC so it looks factory and does not get as hot a chrome plated steel. It also goes into the fender so your filter gets the cooler air from outside the engine bay. This way you just leave the factory Mass Air Meter and tube to TB in place, but still get the benefits of cooler air. It comes with a K&N for the fender.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
SnakeR said:
Any problems putting the STB back in place?

I've read of people taking the STB off and not getting the holes to line up, resorting to jacking the car on each side for the reinstall.

nope...i've taken mine off SEVERAL times and it goes back on with no problems. Sometimes you have to do a certain side first, but I've never had to use jackstands to get it back on.

svtmustang04

Established Member
just bought the upper and lower WMS pieces. Going to install later this week. then going to get the car dyno tuned with a new chip. Ill report the gains. my car dynoed 259hp last time. so we'll see!

trueblueeyes

Established Member
Thanks for the welcome and for all the help. While I have the strut tower brace off for cleaning, I will probably go ahead and order the WMS Velocity Tube. Anyone with this setup have problems installing this kit? I am a little worried about smog pump interference. I don't have to worry about passing an emissions test here, so I don't really want to go to a lot of trouble to relocate it. I also ordered an off-road H-Pipe, and know that I can purchase the MIL eliminators to shut off the "check engine" light and prevent the codes that are a result of removing the cats. If I disconnect and/or remove the smog pump, I will fall into the same problem (although I am assuming I could have a chip burned to take care of it). Any advice or suggestions? Thanks again for your help and for making me feel welcome. After spending so many years working on my 93 coupe, I feel like I am starting all over again with the Cobra and I have a lot to learn. :shrug:

...Now if I could just clean up the engine bay so it looks half as good as Casper's. :beer: My poor Cobra suffered some neglect under the care of her former owners.

pottsy

Established Member
I had the WMS kit before I changed to the JLT and it was a good piece...the fit was good, the quality was good as well. The lower part would install without removing the STB, but if you want a full-length CAI you'll have to remove it for the install.

Users who are viewing this thread