Cold Air intake

AlanSVT

Established Member
What intake do you all recommend? I was told the JLT has surging issues. Is that true?

What other intakes are out on the market?

I am looking for a friend. He has a 2012.

Thanks,
Alan

Gr8toz

Established Member
What intake do you all recommend? I was told the JLT has surging issues. Is that true?

Thanks,
Alan

I have the JLT carbon fiber, no issues with mine.

AlanSVT

Established Member
I heard something about surging issues. But I guess they may have fixed it with the tad longer coupler

2012 Boss 302

Established Member

Thanks,
Alan

I don't have a CAI yet but I have been doing my research. Power production seems to be about the same between JLT and Steeda. I had a chance to see both side by side and I would go with the Steeda. It looks more factory to me. JLT looks like a huge piece of plastic. The price difference is about $90 but IMHO the Steeda piece is worth the extra money.

ford20

Established Member
The things I don't like about the JLT intake is that theirs is designed specifically for the factory IM and when you put the coupler on the TB it attaches at a pretty steep angle that IMO doesn't seem all that good for airflow. Also as you mentioned with the JLT intake if the Air filter isn't on in the exact spot it can cause some issues and as far as I know JLT never redesigned the intake tube to have stops to resolve the issue. Yes it can be tuned around but IMO it shouldn't have to be if you are paying $300 or so. I would rather spend the $90 on the Steeda unit for (IMO) a better thought out design.

Are all of these CAI's requiring a tune? I see the Air Raid says it doesn't. But want the ground truth from you guys.

Air Raid, C&L and Roush have no tune CAI's but there is no point in adding one unless you are removing the insert and tuning it. Just wasting money.

cobra1718

Established Member
I have the C&L with the no tune insert. Can't feel much difference in performance but to me it looks better than stock. When and if I decide to do a tune I can do that and take the insert out. The JLT and Steeda you don't have that option.

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
I have the C&L with the no tune insert. Can't feel much difference in performance but to me it looks better than stock. When and if I decide to do a tune I can do that and take the insert out. The JLT and Steeda you don't have that option.

Does SCT support the C&L in their "canned" tunes???

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Are all of these CAI's requiring a tune? I see the Air Raid says it doesn't. But want the ground truth from you guys.
I have the Airaid CF CAI with a stock tune and no problems. It has a reduction sleeve at the inlet that keeps airflow the same as stock. When you move to an aftermarket tune you remove the sleeve. The Airaid is OEM quality.

IMG_2032_zpsc0feb852.jpg

tj@steeda

Established Member
Thank you for the support guys & gals ...

Yes, our CAI does indeed require a tune.
Peak to Peak gains of up to 28hp and 22ft/lbs of torque have been achieved, with point to point gains of as much as 32 horsepower and 25 ft/lbs of torque

Remember that we are ISO 9001:2008 certified and all of our Steeda parts are made right here in the U.S.A. by the American worker. We design, engineer, and manufacture our parts so we know the how they are intended to perform from start to finish.

Hit me up at [email protected] if you need any additional support.

In short ... If you are looking for a company with a commitment to quality, being American Made, a strong reputation, and a great relationship with Ford Motor Company, then Steeda is the company that you are looking for.

Best Regards,

TJ

Ochoblanco

Established Member
AirRaid and the Steeda seem to be the best received of the bunch...with the AirRaid having the no tune option. JLT has been one of the most popular CAI's out there for years now but have had issues with the Boss. I recommend the AirRaid and/or Steeda. And use Shaun at AED to tune it (if its NA, basic bolt on).

Users who are viewing this thread