Cold Air Intake?

path914

Established Member
I just bought a '99 svt last week, so I'm a little new to the scene. Anyway, I'm looking to get an intake and from the previous posts it looks like the kkm and sho shop are the recommended ones. I'm just wondering if anyone makes a decent heatshield that fits and is for sale. The only name I've heard of is John Miks and I can't find anyway of contacting him for more info. (oh yeah... I know the SS has a heatshield, but it doesn't appear to be sufficient. Am I wrong?)

Thanks

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Yeah he makes one, but there is a guy over at CEG just pretty much made the same thing for $7.00

I couldn't find the post, but search over there....I think FCO, just upgraded there server again, and they are starting fresh again.

But just go to Home Depot and buy your own stuff. Alot cheaper.

path914

Established Member
The "$7 heatshield" was a plastic mailbox. I'm kinda looking for something a little nicer. No offense to his creativity... it's just harder to brag to my friends about a car part stolen from my neighbors' front yard. lol

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
well, it looks just like the John Mirks one, at least from the pictures I saw..........

path914

Established Member
Okay... so I'm lazy. I'd rather buy one that I know works and looks alright than attempt to make one from home depot. If you saw my "arts & crafts" skills, you'd agree. Anyway, I'm off to have my resonator removed, so I'll see if my mechanic has any ideas.

chrisilversvt

Established Member
yeah the $7.00 one looked as good if not better than the other one that was being sold for about $50...the ss one is sufficient enough,as long as the biggest part of the underhood heat is away from the filter....the one i'm making will probably be like the ss one...the other ones are basically like having an airbox,when you got an open element af to get rid of the airbox in the first place...

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
A metal heatshield! hmmm. Don't you just see the oxymoron there.

Stick with a non-conductive material. Don't make or buy a convection oven for your filter!

chrisilversvt

Established Member
no by ss i meant shoshop style not stainless steel...mine will be made from a clear piece of lucite(kinda like plexiglass)i would never use metal so i could make a filter "oven"...:)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I believe they did a prototype, but it never really took off, i could be mistaken tho

Swazo

Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
I believe they did a prototype, but it never really took off, i could be mistaken tho

I found this on CTA.

The Injen Technology intake system is a high-performance, dyno-proven system made of CNC mandrel bent 6061 T-6 aluminum alloy. Each intake is carefully engineered for a perfect fit and superior performance. Many other intakes in the market are made of 3.00" diameter tubes. This may cause friction between the battery and the intake system, dented hoods and an unbalanced air fuel ratio which can be harmful to your engine. Injen Technology has taken extra measures to ensure that the consumer get's what they paid for: optimum throttle response. We have in-house capabilities for bending 2.25",2.50", 2.75" and 3.00" diameter tubes on various bend radii. We polish every intake for those who are conscious of aesthetics along with horsepower gain. With the use of 1//4" thick 6061 T-6 aluminum and precise CNC machined brackets and adapters, you are guaranteed an exact fit every time. Not only do we dedicate ourselves to making precise crafted intakes, we also back it with a limited lifetime warranty to ensure a quality intake for years to come. Can be adapted to Contour SVT.

It's $199.00 for the polished and blue, but $189.00 for the red.

http://www.ctamotorsports.com/

Last edited:

Speed Demons

Yes it was my car the Cold Air Intake was proto-typed with.
I still used with no problems up until my engine went (crankshaft or spun bearing). Im currently working on a 3L SVT and gonna use the same setup with INJEN TECH.
Dont mistake my CAI setup with the one pictured above, that is just an intake system. Because of the heat worries, I did however have the intake pipe (that sits under the battery) ceramic coated by Jet Hot.
You can view my web site for some pics of the Cold Air Intake (by Injen), Sho-Shop Y-pipe & Cat, and ultimately the Upper Intake Manifold that was ceramic coated.

Users who are viewing this thread