Cold Air Intake vs. Ram Air Intake

joed2nd

Established Member
I have a 99 cobra. Looking into maybe buying a cold air intake or ram air....Which is better? And is there much difference? Also who makes the best one?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
There is a minimal difference in hp between the 2. I would go with the RAI with a heat shield. I wouldn't want to risk ingesting water which can happen if you run an in the fenderwell CAI.

joed2nd

Established Member
I am leaning toward rai...Yea man that would suck blowing the engine like that.. i would of been sick..How much hp should i expect to gain...Went on JLT's website and they say 16 - 20 hp but from reading doesn't seem like it will gain that much...

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I am leaning toward rai...Yea man that would suck blowing the engine like that.. i would of been sick..How much hp should i expect to gain...Went on JLT's website and they say 16 - 20 hp but from reading doesn't seem like it will gain that much...

Every company over states their CAI and RAI. Its not a huge gain. Maybe 5 rwhp honestly. It might be more for 99-01 Cobra's as opposed to the 96-98 Cobras like mine but I doubt it.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
How much water did you go through for that to happen...Do all cold air intakes relocate the MAS into the fenderwall as well..Notice that JLT does.

I have a Densecharger (put on by the original owner when the car was new) but I'm pretty sure everyone will say its way too bendy, but it does have the MAF in the engine bay.

DSC00302.jpg

Last edited:

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
How much water did you go through for that to happen...Do all cold air intakes relocate the MAS into the fenderwall as well..Notice that JLT does.

I hit about 4 inches of water on the interstate. Nothing I could do about it.

Not sure about your other question.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
The BBK intake that was installed in my car before I bought it relocated the filter to inside the fender, but it's still protected by the fenderwell lining.......I'd have to run it straight into a lake to risk ingesting that much water to lock it up. The MAF sensor is still in the engine bay as well.

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
I'm switching to a RAI due to heavy rain and flooding where I'm from. Selling my Densecharger for $40 + shipping if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread