Coin holder switch affecting radio reception

tr04mach

Established Member
Anyone had an issue with the sct coin holder switch affecting radio reception? Basically I have it run up from the ecu and zip tied to the wires above the passenger foot area and back to the switch. I've been trying to figure out why my fm radio is basically worthless right now, i get maybe 1-2 stations out of the many I used to get and even those aren't great reception. So today I investigated a bit and thought maybe since my hood blanket was removed recently that might've been the issue but that still isn't great so I tried switching my flip switch to a setting without a tune like 3-7 on there and the radio works great. When I switch back to my tunes 0 and 1 my radio reception goes back to not working. Anyone experienced this and if so is there a better way of routing it that would prevent this. I did try pulling the wire in the passenger foot area down from the zip ties and it didn't help so i'm kind of lost about what to try now. I was hoping someone else might've had a similar issue, any help would definitely be appreciated.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Try changing to shielded wires for the switch. Alternately, you could wrap the wires with Al foil (try to find some 1" wide foil, maybe at Radio Shack of Fry's) and attach each end to a ground location.

tr04mach

Established Member
Try changing to shielded wires for the switch. Alternately, you could wrap the wires with Al foil (try to find some 1" wide foil, maybe at Radio Shack of Fry's) and attach each end to a ground location.

Great, I will definitely give that a shot and hopefully that'll work. Thanks for the help. I'm surprised that nobody else has had issues with the switches that I could find.

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
I had an issue with my switch but that is because I run the WeaponX COP's and had a set of their plugs in as well. I wrapped the switch in aluminum foil and grounded it and neither things helped. My car was running poorly though it had no affect on the radio itself. I switched to some NGK plugs and the problem is solved. The above mentioned items should help out. I am still considering changing to shielded wire for my switch just incase you know.

WeaponX_Perf

Established Member
Anyone had an issue with the sct coin holder switch affecting radio reception? Basically I have it run up from the ecu and zip tied to the wires above the passenger foot area and back to the switch. I've been trying to figure out why my fm radio is basically worthless right now, i get maybe 1-2 stations out of the many I used to get and even those aren't great reception. So today I investigated a bit and thought maybe since my hood blanket was removed recently that might've been the issue but that still isn't great so I tried switching my flip switch to a setting without a tune like 3-7 on there and the radio works great. When I switch back to my tunes 0 and 1 my radio reception goes back to not working. Anyone experienced this and if so is there a better way of routing it that would prevent this. I did try pulling the wire in the passenger foot area down from the zip ties and it didn't help so i'm kind of lost about what to try now. I was hoping someone else might've had a similar issue, any help would definitely be appreciated.

This may come a bit late but I may be able to help you with a suggestion. Those flip chip wires have caused us all sorts of grief by causing excessive interference issues, especially with our ignition equipment. With our ignition upgrade they also cause similar issues, but affects drivability of the engine. Of course pulling the wire off usually solves the issue but if you like try these suggestions.

There are a couple methods to resolve this issue.
1) Use a heavy layer of tinfoil over the chip and ground it. (do not directly contact exposed chips like Diablosport stuff)
2) Wrap a heavy layer of tinfoil around the flip chip wiring and ground it.
3) Buy a ferrite bead and wrap the flip chip wiring around it as much as possible. This will help inhibit the interference the flip chip wiring causes.

These methods have resolved certain customer issues with flip chips and our ignition equipment, it may also resolve yours. Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread