coilover/shock question???

torquemonster

Established Member
I have the kenny brown coilovers all around, and the koni yellow adjustables.
When i lowered the rear to where i like it (pretty low), the rear will make a huge "pound" noise when i hit a bump hard enough, as if the shock isnt absorbing, or there isnt enough shock to absord the force put on it.
Anybody know why this is?
When i raised the car back up to the height displayed in my signiture, i dont get that "pound" noise from the rear....
any thoughts?
I thought at first it was the tire rubbing but its not the right sound, and there are no signs of tires rubbing against the fender wall.....

If it is a shock problem, do you think it is because the shock is worn? Or because the shocks werent made for the car to go that low? Any idea what shock would fix my problem?
I was told fox body shocks might work better if i want the car lower as those shocks are shorter?.....:shrug:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Im not sure about Konis having internal bumpstops. Some shocks/struts do, some dont but you're more than likely hitting the internal bumpstops in the shocks. Too low is worse than too high in these cars.

Last edited:

torquemonster

Established Member
Yeah i raised it back up today, and it doesnt hit as bad, but every now and then i still get a good pound.....

and it seems like the car rides way stiffer than it use to, could this be worn shocks? Just doesnt feel like i get any absorbtion from the shocks...:shrug:
any help, advice is much appreciated!

torquemonster

Established Member
anybody know if fox body shocks will fix my problem, in trying to lower the car a little more without getting that loud pounding noise, which is possibly hitting the internal bumpstops....?????????
Any ideas on what shocks might work better?

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I would say you would probably benefit from a pair of adjustable shocks. That way when you raise a lower the car you can also adjust the shock valving.

torquemonster

Established Member
Thanks for your response, i have the adjutables right now, but dont seem to work? I cant tell if they are just worn or what, cause when i hit hard bumps, there doesnt seem to be any absorbton from the shock...

CobraDDz

SVT Rookie
Established Member
My worn shocks and struts would bounce after hitting a bump. The car would rock up and down several times before stopping. I would also hear a thump when hitting large bumps. If you push up and down on the suspension (by hand) it should return to its position immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread