Coilover Kit Installed

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
After doing my homework and research I ordered the RGMP3550-3 QA1 kit from Paradise Racing - they have the best prices of anyone on QA1 stuff :rockon: I also got the spanner wrench/thrust bearing kit to make adjustments a cinch, part number 7888-110.

The stock hieght coils I had in there wieghed 20# each and the old QA1 R's were 2# each according to my bathroom scales so I'd say actual is 20-22# per side for the old stuff. The new coilovers wieghed 14# each so I figure the swap saved 12-15# overall. :banana:

The kit listed above has the 90/10 valved drag spec shock and 550# springs.

On to the pics:

The springs supplied are machined flat on each end and on the top I used the 3/8" urethane coil spacers I already had.

coiloverkit005vm3.jpg

Bolted into the pocket of the DJM LCA's with the supplied QA1 hardware. I did have to step the bolt holes up from 1/4" to 3/8" which was quick work with a unibit.

coiloverkit006ou9.jpg

Everything bolted up.

coiloverkit008ut0.jpg

Access to the adjustment knob.

coiloverkit009kf6.jpg

I got the initial ride hieght set pretty close and went for a drive. I set the shocks to #10 first since my old ones were on #5. The ride was GREAT! The springs are softer of course but not bad at all, I can dial up the shocks if needed. I'm also running without the front sway bar still. I rechecked the hieght after coming back and it's about 3/8" lower than where I started so I'll have to raise it up a bit tomorrow. The total cost was under $500 and I can now raise/lower the front as I like.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Paradise has always had great prices on Qa1's. The kit looks nice. I never even knew you had DJM arms Bob. Definitely keep us updated once you make your adjustments and give us feedback :thumbsup:

I would put some washers underneath the head of the bolts on the bottom atachment tabs of the shock into your arms, the heads don't cover the tabs that well it looks like... Stan

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
That looks great.
BTW, how thick are the mounting brackets at the bottom of the coilover? Just seems a bit small, considering there seems to be alot of weight resting on those two bolts?

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I need that! Looks great! Will they work with stock a-arm?

Good question. I'd guess they would once the stock shock mounting studs were drilled out to allow for the new hardware.

Stan, the shock is under compression on the LCA, all the bolts do is hold it in place. I'm going to keep a close eye on it over the next few days to make sure there are no issues. This kit is intended for vehicles with a front end wieght of 2100-2300#, just a little under what I figure my front to be.

Last edited:

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Last edited:

flashlight

Established Member
Hey thats cool. I just put a set of those on my chevelle. I didnt know they made them for L's. I love them on the chevelle. It had trick springs for a small block car. It has a big block in it so it was sitting in the dirt. Very nice set up.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
How are those 550# springs? I thought the stockers were 800 or 900? If those springs are nice and stiff I will do this in a heart beat. Great out of the box thinking Bob!

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Stock springs are ~600 according to the info on Tim Skelton's site. They're a little softer than what I had but not bad, as I said I don't have the front sway on and the shocks are set on #10 out of 24 settings. I'll know more tomorrow but I'm VERY pleased thus far!!

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I would say "That's some gangsta $hit Bobby!" but you already know.:rockon: Very impressive work mang!:bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread