Coilover helper springs

///m3

Established Member
I just installed the MM Sport coilover kit onto the Cobra. Once I got the ride height adjusted to what it measured previously with H&R springs, there's about a 1.5" gap in front and almost a 2" gap in the rear between the spring perch and the spring. Has anybody installed helper springs to help keep the spring loaded under droop? I'm surprised MM wouldn't include these in the kit.

cobracide

Established Member

95PGTTech

Established Member
Exactly why I didn't go with that style of coilover. If you expect to drive the car on the street at all, expect one hell of a racket when the suspension unloads due to this.

cobracide

Established Member
If you really want it right then find somebody with scales near you that can do a proper corner balancing with YOU in the driver's seat. Really not sure on the spring gap deal but call MM. They will help you.

Last edited:

///m3

Established Member
Exactly why I didn't go with that style of coilover. If you expect to drive the car on the street at all, expect one hell of a racket when the suspension unloads due to this.

So what did you go with?

I'm pretty unhappy with the current set-up. It seems like a bunch of generic coilover parts thrown together instead of the engineered system from a reputable racing company that I was expecting.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Get some zero rate helper springs they'll prevent the coilover spring from unseating during full suspension droop. Problem solved.

Reputable "RACING" company, you said it yourself.

I have H&R race springs on my street car, MM coilovers/ bilsteins all around on my race car. Go figure.

95PGTTech

Established Member
So what did you go with?

I'm pretty unhappy with the current set-up. It seems like a bunch of generic coilover parts thrown together instead of the engineered system from a reputable racing company that I was expecting.

KW Variant 3. I'm also an IRS car now (98 Cobra), but that made little impact on my decision other than part number.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
I was debating for a long time about the KW or MM coilovers. In the end I decided on the MM kit with 400 front/600 rear spring rates. It works so well it is hard to describe. It is never harsh, never rattles, and handles superb with all of my suspension mods. One thing for sure is that there is no one wonder mod which requires no adjustment. Take a little time and fine tune your parts. I will compare my setup against anything on the market and will probably prefer my setup. I also own a 2011 mustang as well. Maybe these newer chassis vehicles are better with a KW setup but for my 03 cobra what I have installed is AWESOME!!

I would still love a KW setup but for my alignment settings I need the MM caster/camber plates.

By the way, the car will never allow for the springs to unload unless you really raise the car on a lift or jack. The helper spring is not necessary. You also do not need a spanner wrench to adjust the height when the car is suspended where the wheels are off the ground.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

My MM Front/Rear Coilovers are silent on the street and on the track. :dw:

///m3

Established Member
I don't ever recall getting the Cobra airborne, but I could see hitting a pothole and having the spring unload and make some noise. I guess I'm just a little upset at the lack of total system engineering. If they sell them for the street they should perform flawlessly on the street. It's not as if the helper springs are very cost prohibitive.

Teej281

Established Member
I have MM coilover kit and I love it. Handling is crisp, ride is awesome, and most importantly no noise. Sounds like someone is just bitter due to the fact that they spent about double what they needed to. Lol and eBay coilovers are not engineered like MM or Griggs, which are both generally the same design, using collars and sleeves. Plus the use of these coilover kits allow for you to choose the correct spring rate for your setup and allow you to choose the damper you want to use as well. So thanks for the economy boost by dropping double what you needed to into your suspension!

Last edited:

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
My Maximum Motorsport setup is silent and never makes any noise. Even less harsh than the stock setup because of the location of the springs I suppose. No need to stretch the truth here. It is simply quiet and works well. I track my car and also was out today. Check out my pass on the straight away.........Porsche 911 and a BMW M3. No rattling suspension or noises from it on the track or street.

I may add that after my open track day today I do not beleive that a set of KWs would have given me any advantages over my current setup. I would still love to try a set for comparison. I was really driving hard today. Video clip below.

CLICK HERE ----->[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UfXcJQiY_o"]YouTube - Hockenheim Feb 2011[/nomedia]

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Because they actually are, or because you spent a ton of money on them and don't want to admit they are nothing better than generic eBay "coilover" kits?

Because they are and I have installed all my suspension bits myself. :smmon:

Teej281

Established Member
Also, if we were unhappy, don't you think that we would want to let others know so they weren't pissed with their purchase too. We are all here to help eachother out, not falsely recommend crappy setups or parts.

Users who are viewing this thread