coilover help

blkstangman88

Established Member
I'm looking for a set of true coilovers for my 97 cobra, but I'm unsure what brand to get since there's so many. Can I get info on diff brands, what options do I got?

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
are the maximum motor sports conversions really that good? they aren't adjustable other than height I thought, or can you change the stiffness too?

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
are the maximum motor sports conversions really that good? they aren't adjustable other than height I thought, or can you change the stiffness too?

You have choice of what brand strut/shock you want to use with the MM Coilover kits.

Maximum Motorsports sells either Bilstein, KONI, Tokico D-spec and Eibach.

Usually, its the Bilstein or KONI that are the more common units to be paired with their coilover kits.
They also offer custom valved Bilstein struts and shocks, depending on the application.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23_376

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Griggs hands down for handling.. there are a lot of complaints with MM and the noise issues.. I have never heard of any noise or ever been in a car with MM that made noise though.. It's up to you..

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Griggs is absolutely disgusting when it comes to ANYTHING.

Just wish I had the $$

edit: Just wish I had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$*

blkstangman88

Established Member
I'm looking for street/handling but the occasional drag once or twice a year. I was looking at mm koni setup but I wasn't sure how good there setup would be.

95PGTTech

Established Member
I'm glad you started this thread I was wondering the same thing. I've been looking at the KW variant 3

me too. when I say coilover I mean a full threaded body shock/spring/hat combination, not this slip over coilover conversion junk sold by most. no shit they make noise.

too bad there is VERY little info out there on the variants, much less user reviews. only one I have ever seen running them is bruce (FTBR) on basically a full race car. eibach also makes a coilover?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Get the Griggs C/O koni kit. It's the same kit that i have. I opentrack and people look at me funny because I can get traction from a dig on the street on a hot day.. Trust me it's worth the money.

Rev Happy

Established Member
MM hands down. My car has a full MM tubular front end and I have no noise issues whatsoever. I had Griggs coil-overs back in the day and the springs they used were horrible as they bowed on the sleeves. I'm sure they use a different brand now but just stating my experience.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ damn your setup must be old as hell. I bought my stuff back in 01 and I have zero problems. and actually the springs say griggs racing on mine..

ghadab

Established Member
more feedback please on MM coilover conversion kit. who else experinced noises?

BradJ

Established Member
eibach also makes a coilover?

Yep

IMG_3959.gif

Had MM coilovers over bilsteins for about 3k miles. Got rid of them for these.

Rev Happy

Established Member
^^ damn your setup must be old as hell. I bought my stuff back in 01 and I have zero problems. and actually the springs say griggs racing on mine..

I bought the kit close to 10 years ago. The springs were light blue with the Griggs Racing logo on the coil. This was the 10 inch 350# Bilstein kit and not the one for Konis btw. The noise bothered me so much that I actually pulled the kit off and bought the MM kit hoping they would be quiet. Griggs used SSS springs back then for their coil-overs and I heard from some people that those springs didn't have the best rate control. MM uses Hypercoils and I was so happy with their coil-over kit, that I ended up going with their K member setup. I'm sure if I just would have swapped the Griggs springs for Hypercoils, I would have been fine, but back then I didn't know better. I got nothing against Griggs and think they make an excellent product as well.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ hmm learn something new everyday. thanks for you input. Maybe I have the newer springs?? Idk I love my kit though. :)

Users who are viewing this thread