Coil relocation

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Part of my wire tuck project I’m relocating my ignition coil and was thinking about putting inside the cowl area along with my BAP meter. My question is do you think id be subjecting the coil to more moisture in that area? I was thinking about installing it right under the center bridge area between the two openings…what’s your thoughts or do you have a better idea?

buddha93

Established Member
I can't honestly say I've ever seen the coil relocated, but that's not to say you couldn't. Besides the moisture issue, you'd have to use a non-standard coil wire to reach the distributor.......sounds like more trouble than it's worth IMO.

Biltforspeed351

Not just another Foxbody.
Established Member
I am relocating mine. I am using a firewall feed thru made by MSD that allows me to move the coil whereever. I would def put it as far away from moisture as possible to prevent later problems. It really cleans up the engine bay and looks pretty trick. Plus it gives you 60hp ok joking about the last part LOL

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I hadn’t seen the firewall feedthrough before – I just looked it up pretty cool. So where did you mount your coil? I was going to drill a hole and feed it underneath the pinch weld but started to have second thoughts. I wasn’t sure how much moister it would be subjected to there?

I was also trying to avoid putting it too far because I wasn’t sure how it would effect the ignition having power run through an extra long wire. Does anyone know how far would be too far?

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
I hadn’t seen the firewall feedthrough before – I just looked it up pretty cool. So where did you mount your coil? I was going to drill a hole and feed it underneath the pinch weld but started to have second thoughts. I wasn’t sure how much moister it would be subjected to there?

I was also trying to avoid putting it too far because I wasn’t sure how it would effect the ignition having power run through an extra long wire. Does anyone know how far would be too far?

Couldn't be any worse than having all of your MSD stuff inside the car. As far as moisture is concerned, I supppose you could make some sort of sheild/deflector to keep it from getting wet.

Users who are viewing this thread