coil packs

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
hey guys thought I'd put the feelers out on this one, the idle speed started sticking at part throttle 2500 rpm, but went normal after stabbing the gas pedal, car ran great, a couple weeks later going up hill, under load part throttle the car started bucking, then check engine light came on, checked codes 0303 and 0353 was indicated a miss and ignition coil failure, changed the coil drove the car, it ran great, stop and started a few times and happen to be going up a hill and it started surging again, and is running on 7 cylinders , same codes again, ideas anyone?
thanks!

Last edited:

99svtvert

1999 coil packs (on plugs) are not good. If you replace be sure to get 2003 coil packs ($30/each) or Granatelli (more expensive). BTW, 2003 - 2004 coils part number num ber now replaces 1999. I had to switch mine out with the same symptoms and codes. What a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
ok got it! theres a tube at the back of the intake egr? it has sheathing on it,the sheathing was pushed down and the tube was in contact with the main wiring harness which melted through and shorted :uh oh: :bash:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
blksnake99 said:
1999 coil packs (on plugs) are not good. If you replace be sure to get 2003 coil packs ($30/each) or Granatelli (more expensive). BTW, 2003 - 2004 coils part number num ber now replaces 1999. I had to switch mine out with the same symptoms and codes. What a difference.

id love to know where you get your information. I have my original 99 cop assemblies and they have zero problems keeping the spark lit at 18psi

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
quadcammer said:
id love to know where you get your information. I have my original 99 cop assemblies and they have zero problems keeping the spark lit at 18psi

Same thing I'd like to know. I haven't EVER heard that before.

99svtvert

Son worked for SVT on ignition systems for 2003 Cobra; and mentioned that this is (2004 version) 4th revision of coil packs that had many problems (rough idle; and misfires at higher RPMs) is early 99 DOHC. Revised in mid-1999, revised again in 2001 and 2003. I have had to replace 3 1999 coil packs. So for good reason, you can only purchase revision 4 Coil Packs now.

Obviously, not everyone has the same DOHC COP release and not everyone will have the problem.

The current version is DG-492 (?) which appears to be problem free.

Beyond that I have heard of problems 1999 DOHC COPS now and then but I can't remember where. If it works don't fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread