Coil overs

johnh

Established Member
Anyone running front coil overs on the street? I hear alot of complaints about degradation in ride quality and regrets about running them. Any opinions?

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I have coilovers and they ride a lot smoother than traditional lowering springs.

With coilovers you do not run as high of a spring rate compared to the factory location.

I think the biggest factor is getting the correct spring rate for what you are doing (street, drag, road race) and getting a quality set of C/C plates & adjustable struts

johnh

Established Member
cobra186 said:
I have coilovers and they ride a lot smoother than traditional lowering springs.

With coilovers you do not run as high of a spring rate compared to the factory location.

I think the biggest factor is getting the correct spring rate for what you are doing (street, drag, road race) and getting a quality set of C/C plates & adjustable struts

That's the first plus one for coil overs. Which spring rate do you run? street, drag?

stangbear427

Established Member
Much of the complaints about coilovers are by people who didn't buy a good quality of kit. I ran Bilstien/Hypercoil setups on the front and rear (325#/200#) of my GT using Maximum Motorsports coilover kits, and have no complaints about ride quality or NVH of any kind. You can get coilovers for half what I paid, but those are the ones folks complain about. MM uses tighter tolerances for their sleeves, so nothing rattles, and ride quality is all about having the right damper valving and spring rates that are properly matched to each other, the corner weights of your car and your intended application. This is something that's worth spending the extra money on for a better product- if your Mustang doesn't already rattle over bumps (yeah, right) it won't start because of a good coilover kit.

Last edited:

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
cobra186 said:

right on the money daryl. i've got coil overs on my new coupe and think they're great. ride way better than the suspension on the cobra did, and it was setup nicely. i have the maximum motorsports setup all around. proper rate is key though. i need some lower weight ones, since they're bottomed out and the car could drop another inch or so. but no rattles or anything.

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
I'll give you my opinion very shortly as I have a tubular k member/coil over kit,uppers and lower waiting to be installed. I just helped my best friend install his whole kit this weekend on his 92 coupe and it feels great, he has that whole kit on his 98 also and loves it. Can't wait for mine. BTW, we went with street springs.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
johnh said:
That's the first plus one for coil overs. Which spring rate do you run? street, drag?

My set up is for road racing.... Its a complete KW Coilover system. My car sits extremely low yet rides better than a factory set up.

If you do go to coilovers make sure you get a good strut tower brace. I think it really stiffens up the towers... that were not intended to carry all the cars weight.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Mike93SVT said:
right on the money daryl. i've got coil overs on my new coupe and think they're great. ride way better than the suspension on the cobra did, and it was setup nicely. i have the maximum motorsports setup all around. proper rate is key though. i need some lower weight ones, since they're bottomed out and the car could drop another inch or so. but no rattles or anything.

Mike, your spring rate is probably o.k. .... you just need to buy a shorter spring. I believe there are 3 different lengths that will work on a mustang

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
yeah, you're right in a way. i say that because it's setup for turning right now, and a shorter spring would solve it. but i'm goin drag with it and need a different rate.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
The MM coilover w/ bilsteins is a great setup and I have no complaints about it. My ride quality improved greatly and the handling is superb to the traditonal coil spring. Most of the complaints I have heard are from those running UPR setups. My understanding is that those running the UPR usually run a UPR spring which is shorter than a Hypercoil of the same spring rate. Therefore, when going over bumps where the wheel travels away from the body the spring no longer applies pressure between the coilover mount and the strut tower. This then causes the rattle that those running UPRs often hear .. the spring is free to move during travel. The hypercoil setup from MM does not have this same characteristic since it is a longer spring w/ the same spring rate and thereby able to apply pressure through out its travel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread