Coil overs

Jps308

Established Member
I’m looking to do coilivers and would like some feedback from you guys if possible. I like the mm kit bc they’re reputation speaks for itself. I see sve also has a kit. Anyone know much about it? The price is half that of mm’s kit, which makes me wonder about quality. It’s an 04 cobra vert. It’s pretty much gonna be a weekend cruiser. No strip just cruising. I’m planning on staggered 18s too. Any help, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
I was 100% sure I was going with coil overs last fall and like you I want a nice riding cruiser. After doing the research, I like MM's bilstien hd setup, because of their rep.,the choice of spring rates and the spring diameter they use. I'm running 315/17's and clearance is tight. I had two goals with the suspension change, lower it a bit and to get rid of the annoying hop when you hit a bump while cornering. There was a list of stuff I wanted to do, CC plates, bumpsteer front and rear,solid mount the steering rack, poly cradle bushings, poly dif. mount bushings and a dif brace. MM's price on H&R springs is cheap,so I decided to go with them and poly isos, to get a baseline and see if I really needed to go all out on my weekend cruiser.The springs lowered the car,but I don't have much info on the handling yet(snow and potholes), but the 10 miles I have driven have been great. Now that the basics are done, I'm going to drive her for the summer and then decide if I want to spend the money to switch to coilovers. One thing I'd factor in is strut tower braces, coilovers put a lot of stress on our verts.

Jps308

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I’ve read about the strut braces. I’d be fine with just springs, but if it ends up not having the look I’m going after then I’m stuck. I feel the coils would be good so I can adjust if need be. Also I can dial it in with 18s. I’d like to run a 305 or 315 out back.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
I agree about the ride height. Coilovers rule in that regard. The stance I ended up with is not bad. My son had an STI on coilovers that we had pretty low and that thing was a pita, had to pay attention so you didn't rub the air dam and exhaust. At the end of the summer if I'm not happy,I'll probably go with the MM setup.

Jps308

Established Member
Got ya. I’ve used coilivers on a few cars in the past and loved them, but this is my first time working on a mustang. Just not sure if it’s the proper way to go. Thanks for the input guys!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I went from H&R race springs to MM coilovers. I used the same struts/shocks with both set ups. To me the car rides the same, but handles better with the coil overs. I did have it slammed, but I got tired of dragging my mid pipe every where. So I raised it a bit and it's much better now.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
I really love the MM hd set up on my car. you cant go wrong with any of their products

gumtp00

Established Member
I have H&R race springs now, and am considering coilovers as well. Just been dragging my feet with it. Good input in here.

ZR5.0

Established Member
I've had several different combos in my '04.
1-stock shocks and struts with H&R Race springs
2-stock shocks and struts with MM c/o kit all round
3-Koni single adjustable shocks and struts with MM c/o kits all round.
4-Koni / Fox dbl adjustable struts with MM c/o kit up front with MM valved Bilsteins with coil over kit out back.

The H&R combo had a great stance and decent ride but on lapping days fell well short of the performance I was looking for. Set up with stock shocks and struts rode a fair bit better vs combo one and was a definite improvement on the track. Combo 3 from Maximum was a complete and utter cluster fawk which had me chasing my proverbial butt with nothing but ride and handling issues for a couple of seasons. Bruce from FTB helped me out with spring choicse on set up #4 which has worked out utterly fantastic on lapping days but may be a hair on the harsh side for some on the street, personally love it.

Users who are viewing this thread