Coil over spring vendors

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Does anyone know if there is a real difference in the springs made by different manufacturers? I have a MM coil over setup for my 03 Cobra and need to order some springs. Can I use a QA1 Racing spring of the same specs? For example I am looking for a 10" 350lb/inch 2.5 inner Diameter spring. Can I get away with buying the cheaper version from QA1?

From MM web site:
Hypercoil Coil Over Spring, 350 lb/in, 10", 2-1/2" dia. HYP35010250 $63.00

From Summit:
HAL-10-350 QA1 Racing Springs
Coil-Over Spring, 350 lbs./ in. Rate, 10 in. Length, 2.5 in. Diameter, Silver Powdercoated, Each $37.88

Anyone ever put the QA1 springs into a MM coil over setup?

Last edited:

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Yes, there can be a difference in quality between spring manufacturers. Cheap springs may not be as close to the advertised rate, they may sag over time, and sometimes the powdercoat isn't as good.
That said, I run MM coilovers with hypercoil springs for roadrace but swap to some soft QA1 springs for drag racing and they seem to work fine and don't make noise.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Don't think it matters too much except for quality. I'm running hypercoil springs in MMR coilovers and they work fine. I think there is also a site www.bluecoilspring.com or something that sells random springs in different diameters and rates.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Interesting... I'm going to change springs in 6 months when my rear coilovers are ordered with a set of sport valved struts/shocks, so I think the QA1 ones should be good.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
EIB-08002500950 Eibach Coil-Over Springs
Coil Over Spring, Red Powdercoated, 2.50 in. Diameter, 8 in. Length, 950 lbs./ in., Each
Today $64.99

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
what rate

Sorry,not trying to hijack your thread but what is a good rate for a drag setup on coilovers, I have a set of unknown rate on my cobra and it rides like a brick

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I see mostly 175lb springs in Fox drag cars, but a 03 Cobra would probably bottom those out (too heavy). I have a set of 12" 250lb/inch springs for sale. MM told me the 250s would be good for DD, but too soft for AutoX.

03cobramanIII

Banned
yeap 175s on the 83. but you got to fugure with the added weight of a s/c you might need more or you tires will have alot of neg camber due to squat! i waw thinking at least 350 to start with on terms

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I thought he was asking about a drag setup....

Sorry,not trying to hijack your thread but what is a good rate for a drag setup on coilovers, I have a set of unknown rate on my cobra and it rides like a brick

I'm going with 350lb on my car for AutoX because that is about the limit that my struts and rear springs will handle and still be in balance.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
3d

Yes I was asking about a drag setup, I have some 14-200 on the svo and they are a bit stiff, I think I will try those on it and see what happens, If they work, I will drop back to 14-175 for the svo.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread