Coil Over Question

MrSwa

Established Member
I recently bought a set of coil-overs off another member on this site. Today I took them apart and got a lot of the dirt off them (not looking for them to be spotless, they are going back on a car). Now I have a couple of questions.

1) These are the maximum motorsport coil-overs on stock bilsteins. The front spring rate appears to be 350lb/in. This is the best I could determine from the rusted up marking since I didn't have a brush or wire wheel to clean them off. This seems insanely low to me. Am I crazy?

2) The rear spring rate appears to be 550lb/in. How will this ride? I have read that the stock springs are 600lb/in. Is this true?

The most important
3) There appears to be a c-clip on the rears. This was broken on both of mine. There is a groove for it I think, but what is this and does it need to be replaced? Pictures below.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Jroc

Established Member
Coilovers totally change the geometry of the suspension. Think of theie spring placement compared to the factory spring placement.

You are moving the springs out farther(particularly much farther in the front) which changes what rate is need to to stiffen up the suspension to point X or whatever.

Think if you try to do pushups with your hands right beside each other. Its hard to do and takes a lot of strength to push yourself up. Now think about do pushups with your hands apart 2 or 3 FT. It becomes much easier, and takes much less strength to do.

They will probably be a striffer setup than the 600 lb spring factory setup. I ran 375 lb front/575 lb rear springs on my Cobra.

I vote upgrading to some MM valved Bilstein Sport shocks/struts.

MrSwa

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. This is kind of what I thought might be going on after having a discussion with a friend of mine. About the sport valving, the dampers that they're mounted on might be for all I know. Any comments on handling/ride with your previous setup?

Jroc

Established Member
Any comments on handling/ride with your previous setup?

It was firm and a little stiff, but not harse unless your on a bad road.

I loved the rear C/O's. I feel they work better than the fronts even though some don't like to run rear C/O's on 79-04 Mustangs because they claim the shock tower aren't up to the task. I never had a problem with it though, and I DD my old setup for almost 3 years.

I highly recommend Bruces IRS Bushings kit when you do C/O's.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...dj-sway-bar-links-bumpsteer-kit-new-post.html

Jroc

Established Member
Did you sell your car?

I still have it. We had a little meeting with the concrete barrier at the track when my rearend broke loose on the upshift to 4th. When sliding your car actually gains momentum, and I actually crossed the finish line at over 100 mph after hitting the wall.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
I still have it. We had a little meeting with the concrete barrier at the track when my rearend broke loose on the upshift to 4th. When sliding your car actually gains momentum, and I actually crossed the finish line at over 100 mph after hitting the wall.

First off sorry to hear that about your car. I am glad that you are OK. Somehow I am relieved to know that the mishap occured on the track instead of racing on the street racing on the highway with worn drag radials in the rain. I hope something works out for you to get it replaced/repaired.

It's also really cool that you still offer your knowledge and experience to help others decide on setups or sort out issues.

Jroc

Established Member
First off sorry to hear that about your car. I am glad that you are OK. Somehow I am relieved to know that the mishap occured on the track instead of racing on the street racing on the highway with worn drag radials in the rain. I hope something works out for you to get it replaced/repaired.

It's also really cool that you still offer your knowledge and experience to help others decide on setups or sort out issues.

Thanks.

Here's a thread with some pictures.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/683920-i-think-im-going-rebuilt-her.html

I was going to try and rebuild her, but I think using it as a donor car is a better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread