Coil on plug replacement discussion

acrbill

Established Member
Instead of muddying up a vendors thread I figured I would start a discussion.

IMO if the gains are to believed they are probably a decent deal for the money.

We have somewhat high compression and big HP so perhaps they do help.

However my experience with aftermarket coils is limited to the MSD on the SRT-4 which turned out bad. They had a terrible failure rate and that alone would scare me off from going aftermarket until they are proven.

Last edited:

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Glad you made a thread as I was not going to post in the thread in fear of getting in trouble.

However, I do believe it was snake oil. My car has had 5-10 RWHP swings just for sitting on the dyno and cooling. Too many variables to say there was a solid gain just from that modification-and on a semi stock car I do not see any need for them. Just my .02.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Glad you made a thread as I was not going to post in the thread in fear of getting in trouble.

However, I do believe it was snake oil. My car has had 5-10 RWHP swings just for sitting on the dyno and cooling. Too many variables to say there was a solid gain just from that modification-and on a semi stock car I do not see any need for them. Just my .02.

Thats why they need a more accurate dyno test done. like someone mentioned 3 runs, and 3 runs with the coils should give you a fairly good idea if they are affecting things. you may also see a smoother dyno graph with the increased burn rate if they are effectively helping

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
I actually have already bought a set of the newly released Granatelli Motor Sports Pro Series Extreme Coil Packs for my '11 GT. I haven't dynoed the car since last March when I installed the Procharger so I don't know if they added any power or not.

I do know that my car is smoother idling and accelerating at part throttle, especially when I'm not up to full operating temperatures than it was with the stock coils. The car does seem to have a smoother, harder pull in the upper RPM's with these coils.

I got one of the first sets sold to the general public and had been on J.R.'s waiting list since March 2011. I got the coils for about half of what the price is listed below because of this. I have been happy with them so far and I'm looking forward to taking the car to the track and see if I have any improvements. Here is the info from another website:

Originally Posted by J.R. Granatelli

Hello Everyone:

Granatelli Motor Sports is NOW SHIPPING our performance coil packs for the new 5.0L Ford Coyote Motor.

Features and Benefits are as follows:

Fits New 5.0 4v Coyote Engine Platform
A variation of this coil will fit the 3.7L V6 Mustang and will be available shortly after the V8.
During the design phase, we focused specifically an application that was best supercharged, turbocharged and high level Nitrous applications where spark blowout from weaker coils is common.
Direct OEM replacement, won't void your factory warranty
Includes now famous Granatelli “stainless rope” Coil on plug connectors
Improves mileage and throttle response
Patented* design feature improves spark
0 ohms of resistance, no radio interference
Includes all necessary hardware

Our first offerings will focus on the Hot Street and Pro Series Xtreme series coils and connectors. Pro Series 60,000 volt coils provide 40,000 more volts than factory coils, ideal for supercharged, turbo and nitrous applications where spark blowout from weak factory coils is common. 0 Ohm resistance, no RFI / EMI interference thanks to patented protector ring. 3 different stages available (OEM Replacement, MPG Plus, Hot Street, Pro Series, and Pro Series Extreme).

HOT STREET – The Hot Street Series are 40,000 volt coils that provide 20,000 more volts then factory coils and are a perfect match for engines with minor performance upgrades and those looking for a step up on the competition, 0 ohm resistance, no RFI / EMI interference thanks to our patent protected isolator rings. – will not void factory warranty.

PRO SERIES XTREME – The undisputed KING OF COILS – The Granatelli PRO SERIES Xtreme coils outputs a whopping 65,000 volts and are specifically designed for supercharged, turbocharged and high level Nitrous applications where spark blowout from weaker coils is common. 0 ohm resistance, no RFI / EMI interference thanks to our patent protected isolator rings.

All we want is someone to put miles on the coils. I have had a set on my car for 3 months now and so far so good but mine were the prototypes. I will also be running productions coils as well but more is better plus you can be objective. NOW OVER 100 SETS SOLD

We are also looking to gauge demand for the new designed coils so everyone please chime in. WELL NOW WE KNOW THEY ARE A SUCCESS

Pro Series Xtreme Coils are selling for $550.00

Standard Pro Series Coils - $499.00

Hot Street Coils - $425.00

Please contact J.R. Granatelli directly at 805-486-6644

Thanks to everyone and all our dealers for making these parts one of our best lauched products ever

With over 100 sets (800 coils) sold and not a single complaint, we know we have a winner on our hands and I am sure you all agree

Celebrating 72 years of service and dedication to the sport of Auto Racing and the Performance Aftermarket. Granatelli Motor Sports has always been dedicated to customer service. Your new ignition system source for anything related to Ford Performance. Not just a one size fits all company, we offer ignition coils specifically designed for supercharged, turbocharged and high level Nitrous applications where spark blowout from weaker coils is common. Patented* designs feature improved spark energy, 0 ohms of resistance, no EMI / RFI interference, improved mileage and throttle response.

www.granatellimotorsports.com

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
Over on Corral, Granatelli has a thread up with their coils. They are having a guy coming by today who will be dyno testing the coils. If there are no gains he gets free dyno time, if there are gains he will buy the coils.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Even if they are good for 5-10 RWHP, are they really a good deal? Is 10 HP for $500 a good value? I don't really think so, but it is all incremental with these cars since they are very close to maxed out stock.

I guess for the guy like me, who has a Pro-Cal tune and doesn't want a more aggressive tune, or to remove cats, add longtubes, CAI, etc., it may be worth it to look into these an alternative way to grab some HP, albeit not cheaply.

Mike

acrbill

Established Member
Axle backs cost a ton and offer no performance gains. Removing the cats supposedly gains 15HP and besides a tune that makes the most noticeable gain for me.

If you can prove 10HP on a bolt on car I bet the supercharged guys will see quite a bit more.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Axle backs cost a ton and offer no performance gains

In fairness, I think most people install axle back for the sound quality and not hp.

I finally upgraded to a coil-near-plug setup on my 86 SVO(megasquirt setup) but only after running with the stock ignition for some time. Even with 18+lbs boost most SVO/Ford turbo4 people get away with the the stock POS Ford coil with no problems at all. From my experience I can see the emissions/cold start improving (as described by z28) before believing in a useful HP gain.

For $550 I'd personally make it own of the last things I'd do. And as others mentioned, I'd like to see 3 vs 3 back to back dyno runs.

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
Granatelli just posted the results on Corral.

Just got done - video will be completed in teh morning - but basically it pickes up 13hp and 15 ft/lbs on a MUSTANG Dyno not Dynojet and more power than that under the curve. - I will let the customer, the dyno sheets and video speak for the product in the morning.

I will say this car hit the 4 limiter at 144mph on my dyno. Rather than go in there with a tuner, I wanted real back to back dyno figures.

Pretty impressive. I can't wait to see the specs on the test car and what the curve looks like.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
can someone answer what are wrong with the stock COP? history has shown on the older cars all that had aftermarket COP sucked an worked worse than the stock COP.

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
can someone answer what are wrong with the stock COP? history has shown on the older cars all that had aftermarket COP sucked an worked worse than the stock COP.

Nothing is wrong with the stock COP. It there was, we would have our MIL's on all the time. If you have 2% misfires or more, you will have an illuminated MIL. If 2% seems high, in the late 80's and early 90's, it was normal to have around 8% to 12% misfires and OBD-I wouldn't say anything.

GabeMarlin

V8/RWD Fanatic
Established Member
A datalog of the misfire monitors during the dyno pulls could possibly prove if they work or not. Not sure how consistant the monitors are though. Full range misfire monitoring has been required on all OBD-2 vehicles since '97; just saying that so some troll with outdated hearsay doesn't try to correct me.

GrayGhost Dog

Established Member

I'm sure nothing is wrong with the stock COP's, but that doesn't mean there aren't better performing ones to be made. Just because aftermarket COP's sucked in the past doesn't necessarily correlate with today's offerings.

You'll find it hard-pressed to extract a significant amount of HP out of these cars with just bolt-ons, let alone at a low price.

Users who are viewing this thread