coil on plug opinions

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Well, the Lightning has ate another plug or plugs in less than 250 miles. I'm sure it could be stale gas as it's not driven often. Since I have to pull them all, I going to just get another set of Denso IT24's. It was tuned on them years ago and I swapped down to the 22's this last time. I have a 6lb on it and have had great luck with her until this last year. My question is what coil on plug upgrade would be a good choice. I saw on LFP that MSD, Accel, and Granatelli all make upgrades. The truck only has 35,000 on her, but thought it might help on the plugs lasting a little better. Especially if I get it out drive her. So who has what brand and what do you think of them? P.S. This truck is just a stock block special, I don't intend on taking her any farther. Just want a reliable tire smoker.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I saw where Lethal carried the Granatelli upgrades that produced more voltage and had a solid connector to the plug vs. the spiral spring. I haven't bought anything for the truck in a while other than plugs and gas. Just trying to love on the thing. I've spent a lot on the diesel and was trying to get back to the Lightning. I guess the stock ones will stay. I like the idea of higher voltage though.

Taunto

Established Member
is the 6lb lower only major mod u got? if so i wouldnt bother with aftermarket COP. just get factory new ones and call it good, no need for the others

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I guess the 6lb is it. I have changed the upper plenum and elbow, changed over to an LFP heat exchanger and coolant tank. I've never had any problems out of it until we moved. I guess it sits so much the gas goes weak/bad before I drive a tank out. Last year was 500 miles. The thing doesn't have even 35K on it. I'll leave the oem ones on it, I was just looking for an upgrade, if it was worth it. I'd love to go built block and all, just more $$$ than I'm willing to throw at it.

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
I went to the Weapon X COPs. They are a high output coil, work great and have a lifetime repair/replacement warranty. The only issue is that they don't seal as well as OEM so they are prone to shorting in the rain, or even when you wash the truck. With the limited miles you put on it in a year, I would agree with others and stick with OEMs. You can find them on Ebay for pretty reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread