Codes, codes, and more codes

txyaloo

Established Member
I installed the KB, injectors, pumps, and maf.ia last weekend. Immediately after starting the truck up, I noticed my idle was high (around 1000rpm), and slightly surging 200-300rpm every few seconds. Idle in gear was perfect. It's only high in park/neutral.

My first thought was a vacuum leak, and I could hear one coming from the KB. I took it off and noticed the o-ring/gasket had slipped out of the groove, and it wasn't seated right. Fixed the o-ring, reinstalled the blower, and I could hear no more leak, but my weird idle was still there.

My second thought was an issue with the tune/maf. I've been trying to get it dialed in this week, but haven't had much luck. Now the truck is throwing a few codes.

P0171 (Bank 1 lean)
P0175 (Bank 2 rich)

What could be the cause of these? Could they be tune related, or is it definitely a mechanical issue? Stuck injector, vac leak, plugs, cops, O2 sensors? What is the most likely cause?

Anyone have thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?

busakiller

Established Member
IAC's go bad left and right on mustangs and other various mod motor fords. thatd be my first plan of attack.

check for a 5v reference and post up.

txyaloo

Established Member
IAC's go bad left and right on mustangs and other various mod motor fords. thatd be my first plan of attack.

check for a 5v reference and post up.

I don't think it's the IAC because I never took it off.

Are you sure everything is back like its supposed to be?

99.5% sure. When I took the blower off, I labeled everything. When I took it off the second time, I went over every line to make sure there wasn't anything out of place.

The first code I got was the P0171 which made me think it was the O2 sensor on the passenger side side, but when I datalogged the O2's I could see them switching like they should.

When I datalogged my STFT's, several times they pegged at -25% on one side. Right now, I'm thinking it's an injector issue or tune related. Those are the only things I changed right before this started.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
One bank rich and one bank lean would lead me to the tune. since you didn't really change anything that would give two different fuel trims.

txyaloo

Established Member
One bank rich and one bank lean would lead me to the tune. since you didn't really change anything that would give two different fuel trims.

I was hoping you'd chime in Eric. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks it's in the tune. :beer:

busakiller

Established Member
I don't think it's the IAC because I never took it off.

IAC's go bad all the time on fords. i looked up the codes on fordinstallersupport.com and fords first recommended step is also to check the IAC if idle problems are occuring.

im not saying its not the tune.

txyaloo

Established Member
Did you get this fixed? What was the problem?

Nope it's still haunting me. I plan on pulling the blower again tomorrow and putting the eaton back on just to see what happens. I had a smoke test done which didn't show any vac leaks, but it has to have a leak somewhere.

I ended up pulling the iac and plugging it, along with the intake boot, plugging the big lines under it, and covering the TB. The truck still ran but idled much lower. I sprayed all around the engine bay with TB cleaner and couldn't get the idle to blip.

So, it has to be something with the blower, injectors, or plenum. I just need to get some time to swap out components and track it down.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Nope it's still haunting me. I plan on pulling the blower again tomorrow and putting the eaton back on just to see what happens. I had a smoke test done which didn't show any vac leaks, but it has to have a leak somewhere.

I ended up pulling the iac and plugging it, along with the intake boot, plugging the big lines under it, and covering the TB. The truck still ran but idled much lower. I sprayed all around the engine bay with TB cleaner and couldn't get the idle to blip.

So, it has to be something with the blower, injectors, or plenum. I just need to get some time to swap out components and track it down.

well man if you were local id say stop on by and id help out :)

txyaloo

Established Member
well man if you were local id say stop on by and id help out :)

I can drive thru two other states in the time it'd take me to get to El Paso. :lol:

It's times like this (and only times like this) I wish I live in Houston where there is a bigger group of Lightning owners.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I can drive thru two other states in the time it'd take me to get to El Paso. :lol:

It's times like this (and only times like this) I wish I live in Houston where there is a bigger group of Lightning owners.

lol hey man its not my fault you decided to live way the hell out there :p

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Hey man,

Any chance you would have an XCAL2 or some sort of datalogging device? If you can obtain one, hook it up, install LiveLink from SCT, I could tell you what to datacapture and that would tell me in 2 seconds if it was the tune or not.... since you've triple-checked all your vacuum lines...etc

txyaloo

Established Member
I was wondering if you had a chance to swap them out yet.

I'm with Mike, I wish you lived closer so I could help out.

I do too Eric. :beer: Derek (astrodude) has been trying to get me to drive to NOVA so you could take a look at it. I think he just wanted to get drunk with me. Driving 1400 miles isn't too practical, but I'd trust you to look at it before any other shop. :rockon:

Hopefully I make it out that way for Mustang Week!

Hey man,

Any chance you would have an XCAL2 or some sort of datalogging device? If you can obtain one, hook it up, install LiveLink from SCT, I could tell you what to datacapture and that would tell me in 2 seconds if it was the tune or not.... since you've triple-checked all your vacuum lines...etc

I've datalogged this thing a ton! :lol: I'm on tune revision number 8. Rev 7 was throwing rich codes.... Rev 8 is throwing lean codes. Needless to say, I put rev 7 back on. I'll be glad to send you the logs. Most have been while sitting in idle. I have a predator. Unfortunately, their datalogging isn't the greatest in the world.

txyaloo

Established Member
lol hey man its not my fault you decided to live way the hell out there :p

Austin is the place to be in Texas. I'd need even more guns if I lived in El Paso!

If I came out there, I don't think we'd be able to get any work done on the truck. I'd be too busy playing with your guns. And since I know you're an HK freak, I'd have to bring the MP5 with me.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Austin is the place to be in Texas. I'd need even more guns if I lived in El Paso!

If I came out there, I don't think we'd be able to get any work done on the truck. I'd be too busy playing with your guns. And since I know you're an HK freak, I'd have to bring the MP5 with me.

lol we arent that bad brother :p
just stay the hell away from the border and you are good.

and if you brought your MP5 id be giddy like a girl...even more so since the range is within walking distance from my house :D
and well...my collection is trumped with a single gun outta your collection lol

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Jeff... let me know if you need a hand, I can probably sneek up there since I'm off work. I was just up there to see the folks for Christmas, too bad I didn't have access to the internet to see you were still trouble shooting or else I could have stopped by.

txyaloo

Established Member
lol we arent that bad brother :p
just stay the hell away from the border and you are good.

and if you brought your MP5 id be giddy like a girl...even more so since the range is within walking distance from my house :D
and well...my collection is trumped with a single gun outta your collection lol

I don't know how you do it, but I couldn't ever live in El Paso.

:lol: I still get giddy every time I shoot, clean, or just look at it. You have a nice collection yourself. :beer:

Jeff... let me know if you need a hand, I can probably sneek up there since I'm off work. I was just up there to see the folks for Christmas, too bad I didn't have access to the internet to see you were still trouble shooting or else I could have stopped by.

Thanks Allen. I'd been out of town visiting the family for the holidays so I really hadn't had a chance to mess with it. I'm starting to think it may be the stock KB gasket since IIRC the idle gets better when the S/C belt is removed. I guess this could also be the plenum gasket. Hopefully, I'll be able to take a look at it later today.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I don't know how you do it, but I couldn't ever live in El Paso.

:lol: I still get giddy every time I shoot, clean, or just look at it. You have a nice collection yourself. :beer:

Family brother, thats what makes it possible. however where i live its pretty much all retired folks so i get some decent peace and quiet...not perfect but not bad.

Thank ya dude, my "crowning" pieces are actually some i inherited :)

Users who are viewing this thread