code?

'01 Bolt

Close The Borders!!
Established Member
No search feature..... so here goes. Check engine light came on.. so I went by Auto Zone and them read it.. This is what the slip he gave me says.... OEM number to cross PO174.
Definition.. Fuel trim bank two condition.
Explanation..The ECM detected a rich or lean air/fuel ratio condition on bank two.
Probable causes.. 1- if bank one and two are set together suspect a fuel condition or MAF sensor fault.
2. failed ho2s21
3. Ignition misfire condition.
4. fuel injector problem.
5. engine mechanical condition.

The PCM has determined that during tsting, the fule system for bank 2 was too lean. (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1., while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on opposite bank.)

Truck is a 2001, stock , with 150k miles. just changed plugs about 2 months ago.. thought maybe i had a coil problem this time...? I'm NO mechanic.... what does this all say in layman terms...thanks for any help... travis

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
what that is saying is that for some reason bank 2 the drivers side bank is running lean. could be caused by several things. It is also saying that since it is just 1 bank setting the code that it is ruling out the MAF and fuel quality as possible causes, which should not be done. look for something that may be causing that bank to run lean, air leak or a restricted injector.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Under what driving conditions is your truck stuttering and bucking (at idle, cruising, WOT)?

To check for vacuum leaks do a careful and thorough inspection of all of the lines in the engine bay. Look for any that may be disconnected or damaged (dry-rotted, cracked, etc). Re-connect/replace if necessary.

You can also use carb cleaner to help track down a vacuum leak. Spray the carb cleaner in short squirts onto the various lines with a brief pause to see if the carb cleaner draw into the system. If it is the idle will elevate as the carb cleaner is burned of in the cylinders.

As far as the stuttering is concerned I also recommend changing the fuel filter, changing the spark plugs and cleaning the MAF. You may also need to troubleshoot the COPs to rule them out as possible culprits.

'01 Bolt

Close The Borders!!
Established Member
No problems at idle.. just at cruising speed and accelerating.. If engines pulls down at all it will buck and jump... but if it down shifts and the RPM's come up it will stop.. Unless WOT then it does constant... So iv'e been staying away from boost lately.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
No problems at idle.. just at cruising speed and accelerating.. If engines pulls down at all it will buck and jump... but if it down shifts and the RPM's come up it will stop.. Unless WOT then it does constant... So iv'e been staying away from boost lately.

Sounds like you may have burnt a plug or two as a result of the lean condition. As I mentioned in a previous post, replace the spark plugs and fuel filter and clean the MAF. While you're at it check all the lines for cracks, etc. and ensure evrything is connected.

Users who are viewing this thread