CODE P0133 02 circuit slow response (bank1, sensor1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRC-RUSH

NFSvtF
Established Member
I got the check engine light on so i pluged my diablo tuner and got this code out:

CODE P0133 02 circuit slow response (bank1, sensor1)

Does anyone know what bank is what and what sensor is 1 or 2 and where is it located? :shrug: also if you have pictures/tips on replacing/fixing would be greatly appreciated.(tools needed etc.)

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Daeron

Established Member
That is the pre-cat O2 sensor. It is located just after the header-cat junction. Not too hard to change out (I think it is a 19mm as far as wrench size goes). Just wrench it out, unhook the connector, put the new one in, hook it up :)

SVT_2000Contour

Unloading it in your GF!
Established Member
I've had the same code pop up for the 1,000,000 time!!!!! I've change the sensor out three times and it keeps coming back. Even with the new one in, the car would die coming to a stop. So I finally just gave up and unplugged it. Car runs better than it did fixed???

WRC-RUSH

NFSvtF
Established Member
i can clear the code using my tuner. would that be smart to do? could it just be a temp. thing that will go away without replacing the sensor? i mean i got ntng to loose, worst case the light will pop up back on :shrug:

WRC-RUSH

NFSvtF
Established Member
i started my car this morning and guess what? the light is gone!! :pepper: I didn't clear it it just gone. I guess it was a temp thing and now it's gone, at least i hope so. :-D

najay

Established Member
What P0133 really means

Preface: I am an engineer that works with Autologic and Diablosport. I helped develop a lot of their tuning software.

I have an 03 SVT Focus ZX5. I recently installed a Vortech HO kit and helped them (vortech) refine their tune for that kit. The first thing I experienced was the P0133 error. I replaced the O2 with no effect, so I started researching what was actually happening, logging megabytes of data from the OBDII port.

What I found is the computer does a sanity check (in EPA terms, an 'OBDII monitor') to see if the O2 is working. The way it does it is by toggling +/- 10% on the fuel, and seeing how long it takes for the O2 to respond. If this test fails 3 times in a row, it considers the O2 'slow' and flags the error.

The problem happens when the fuel trims are more that 10% out. In my case, the trims during the test (3k rpm, highway cruise conditions) were almost 15% out. Since the fuel only toggled 10%, the o2 never saw it, and the error was flagged.

This car is EXTREMELY sensitive to MAF placement and calibration. It took me almost 40 tunes to get the engine responding correctly. Getting the MAF and injector values correct is a real pain, especially since the Focus has a racing header, which makes the o2 respond funny (it cools off from the efficient exhaust flow). After all my testing, I finally got the car starting and running great (it is the wife's car, so if it isn't right, i hear about it!).

If you have a predator, try datalogging the rpm, maf, load, trims, and o2, and see if the trims are off. Odds are they will be.

najay

Last edited:

Primaris

Established Member
Cool information, thanks. Where did you end up placing the MAF?

najay

Established Member
The stock Vortech install puts the MAF in the lower front bumper support. I am not happy with it's current location - there is a real risk of submerging the air filter and sucking water into the engine. I am in process of installing an 80mm maf from a 98 mustang and relocating it to the engine comparment using 3.5" aluminum tubing throughout. This should also address the MAF pegging at 6000rpm.

najay

WRC-RUSH

NFSvtF
Established Member
najay said:
Preface: I am an engineer that works with Autologic and Diablosport. I helped develop a lot of their tuning software.

I have an 03 SVT Focus ZX5. I recently installed a Vortech HO kit and helped them (vortech) refine their tune for that kit. The first thing I experienced was the P0133 error. I replaced the O2 with no effect, so I started researching what was actually happening, logging megabytes of data from the OBDII port.

What I found is the computer does a sanity check (in EPA terms, an 'OBDII monitor') to see if the O2 is working. The way it does it is by toggling +/- 10% on the fuel, and seeing how long it takes for the O2 to respond. If this test fails 3 times in a row, it considers the O2 'slow' and flags the error.

The problem happens when the fuel trims are more that 10% out. In my case, the trims during the test (3k rpm, highway cruise conditions) were almost 15% out. Since the fuel only toggled 10%, the o2 never saw it, and the error was flagged.

This car is EXTREMELY sensitive to MAF placement and calibration. It took me almost 40 tunes to get the engine responding correctly. Getting the MAF and injector values correct is a real pain, especially since the Focus has a racing header, which makes the o2 respond funny (it cools off from the efficient exhaust flow). After all my testing, I finally got the car starting and running great (it is the wife's car, so if it isn't right, i hear about it!).

If you have a predator, try datalogging the rpm, maf, load, trims, and o2, and see if the trims are off. Odds are they will be.

najay

great info man, thanks. the light went away by itself as i said though, probably the ecu did another check and was fine?
how do i know if the trims are off by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread