Cobra's having electrical issues

MCT

Established Member
After a tune up and out of commission for 2 months she was back out on the road. I went AWOL from my vehicle since I was so packed with my work schedule, and I didn't drive it for a good 2/3 weeks. I come back to it, turn it on, hear the beautiful V8, and all of a sudden I see white smoke from my backseat

"Ah shit..."

It smelled like burning plastic rubber, and the smell was terrible. It was so bad with the smoke it clogged up my interior. I pull over, and I look at the engine. Nothing. Engine sounds healthy. Car sounds good. I check the exhaust. Nothing. No strange noises. I check under. No leaks, or anything. I decide to open up the trunk, and holy shit the batch of white smoke just hit my face. This car could've easily caught on fire....

I send it to my mechanic. He's not 100% sure what's wrong with the car. He checked the car, and the car doesn't want to turn it on. Apparently the car had a total of 0 psi from the fuel pump. It was getting nothing from it. Now when the engine's cold the car is getting pressure. The car shuts itself off when it reaches to a certain temp. Now my head guess is the fuel pumps are no more, which is weird, because I have 470 dual pumps that were installed on the car less than 2 years ago.

Due to the smell and the smoke I figured it was the wiring (maybe mice got into the trunk and chewed the wiring causing a short circuit?) Nope. The wires looked good from my eyes.

So I'm not sure where to go from here. My mechanic told me to take it to another shop, because he's not 100% sure what it is, and he doesn't want me to spend money on parts if the fuel pump isn't the issue.

Any ideas? This is frustrating..

Users who are viewing this thread