Cobra's...future investment???

usa97svtcobra

1997 svt cobra
Established Member
Just curious what everyone's opinon is in regards to SVT Cobra's being a collectible vehicle. I have a 97 Cobra convertible with 4,600 miles and I see 100's on this forum or Ebay that are high mileage or have been modded. Does anyone think these cars are worth holding onto down the road. I really enjoy the stories you guys have about your cars and I think it is awesome that you are having so much enjoyment with them.

Anyway, have a look a the late 70's cars (firebird, z28 etc...as they are $20-30k for a mint all original car) even the 80's cars (Iroc, GT, Trans Am's are starting to move much higher in the past 2-3 years?

Any comments?

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
I don't think anything less of 40k or mass produced (over 5k/year) will be a collectors car.

Just my opinion. I think there will be some exceptions to the rule above, though.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
keep the car if you like it. But if your looking to hold onto something that maybe you can make money off of, i wouldnt rely on a mustang cobra. Try some real estate.

NA97GT

Established Member
Im a big fan of cobras, but they will never be worth more than you paid when it was brand new. If your really like your car you should be driving it, not thinking about its diminshing resale value.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
hydroshutter said:
I don't think anything less of 40k or mass produced (over 5k/year) will be a collectors car.

Just my opinion. I think there will be some exceptions to the rule above, though.

I was going to say there have to exceptions. Tell the persons who have sold their late 60's and early 70's model cars for 10 to 100 times their original value. Just like the 1980 T/A I saw at Barrett/Jackson in Arizona last January. It was alright looking and the owner was an anus but he sold it for $38,800.00. There were thousands of them made and it wasn't that old of a car to me to be considered a "collectible" car. Anyone's guess is just that. Oh, and Ones man's junk is another man's treasure.

usa97svtcobra

1997 svt cobra
Established Member
ShortThrow50 said:
keep the car if you like it. But if your looking to hold onto something that maybe you can make money off of, i wouldnt rely on a mustang cobra. Try some real estate.
Already doing the real estate thing...This is more of a passtime and something to do.

Wintermute

Banned
Anyone making "big bucks" on a car would have made a shitload more money investing it in something else, like real estate. Sure it looks good at Barrett Jackson when the guy makes 10 times his investment, but think about what he could have made investing it properly over those 40 years or so.

1fastSn95

Banned
only cobra Rs and 03-04 cobras will be worth money, the rest wont be worth anything, including the GT500, I'd be willing to put money on it that the GT500 will be a flop.

Skywarp

Established Member
ShortThrow50 said:

Thats great thinking but the $25K-$30k you would spend on a Cobra doesn't buy much worthwhile real estate IMHO.

lizardbreath

Banned
1fastSn95 said:
only cobra Rs and 03-04 cobras will be worth money, the rest wont be worth anything, including the GT500, I'd be willing to put money on it that the GT500 will be a flop.

I think only the R will be worth money. The rest are just to mass produced.

HOLLYWDHOMICIDE

Deadly Fast
Established Member
Lance...your car in CANADA is worth more than in the United States. There are alot of low mileage "Mint Condition" Cobras in the U.S. but not as many in CANADA, where the prices remain higher. I'll be moving to Edmonton soon, so we can hang out and we will have something in common. Yes, I will be bringing 4 Mustangs with me!

usa97svtcobra

1997 svt cobra
Established Member
HOLLYWDHOMICIDE said:
Lance...your car in CANADA is worth more than in the United States. There are alot of low mileage "Mint Condition" Cobras in the U.S. but not as many in CANADA, where the prices remain higher. I'll be moving to Edmonton soon, so we can hang out and we will have something in common. Yes, I will be bringing 4 Mustangs with me!

Holy crap............a friendly voice! I guess I won't be back here anytime. soon. Anyway, welcome to Canada. I cannot get over the lack of class of some of people on this board. I am very disappointed.....so many people with a comment interest in cars but yet, a core group of mindless idiots who shoot their mouths off. I don't get it!

HOLLYWDHOMICIDE

Deadly Fast
Established Member
Yes, these forums can be tough at times but don't give up on SVT. If you have questions, there are many good people that are willing to help you out on here. I hope we will be able to meet up some time in the near future and have a cold Pilsner!! :beer: MARK

usa97svtcobra

1997 svt cobra
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Silly rabbit, cars are money pits, not investments and if you don't belive that, then you are a stupid mother f u c k er :bash: :burn: :smmon: :dw:

I hope you feel much better now that you lambasted someone you don't know. You have no class and you are wrong. I can tell you I have made approximately $7k in 2 years buying and selling the odd car and yes, that includes the odd loss as well. By the way, cars only become money pits when you pound the shit out of them (as you have) and modify them to point they are no longer holding their value. Been there done that when I was 16 years old. To each their own and the roll bar in the car looks cheezy!

HOLLYWDHOMICIDE

Deadly Fast
Established Member
JAN....not all cars are money pits. The old Shelby's have been going up at a rate of 15% per year. I must say, that is a decent rate of return on one's money!

Wintermute

Banned
HOLLYWDHOMICIDE said:

Uh, yer dead wrong on that my friend. Black book on the cobra is absolute shit, my vert is listed as about $3K greater in value than a GT vert ! There arent enough up here to establish a value, resales in the US are way better.

Users who are viewing this thread