cobras battery keeps dieing

Mustangsvt01

Established Member
Hey everyone. It's awesome to be a part of SVTpreformance! I just got my 1999 cobra and I'm having a electrical issue if anyone can help. My car keeps dieing every 2 weeks or so. In the last 2 months I replaced it with a new alternator, brand new megaton battery. I even took my my alarm thinking it might've had a short. I don't know what else it could be. My cobra is almost stock all it has is h&r springs, cobra rims, and exhaust. Only thing I can think of is my HIDs. Another thing just to let you know when my car is fully charged it cranks in less than a second. Every time the battery is dieing the start up becomes slower and slower. I dont know if the starter or stsrter solernoid couls be the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Hook one of your multimeter leads to the cable, and one to the battery post, with the multimeter set to read current flow (amps). If the reading is over 50 mA, you have a parasitic drain. Start removing fuses one at a time. The fuse that reduces the current flow is the circuit causing the drain.

b_turbo454

Established Member
^^^^ follow this, only way to find the problem,
As long as your problem isn't over 10 amps(you'll blow the meter internal fuse)
I doubt its that high, that would kill the battery in a few hours, once its hooked up wait at least 10 minutes to check the draw(fords pcm internal timeout is 10 minutes)

Mustangsvt01

Established Member
Got it I will definitely do that. I'll let you know if that's it. @racecouger and @zpipes it's a daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread