Cobra #

CobraF/I

Established Member
Ok, I bought this 99 Cobra off my father (who in turn also took my 94 GT) so I of course trusted him and didn't feel the need to check too much. ;-) It has been fixed (concerning the HP), but I was wondering about the #. I know the vin # (that's on the dash facing out, correct?) but some of you have Cobra #XXXX out of XXXXX. First: Do all Cobras, say ranging from 93 to 03 have numbers? Second: Where do I find such a number? Also (third), apart from looking at the owners manual right now, I'm trying to send someone information about the Cobra engine. Do you have have a site or know off hand basically EVERYTHING about this engine?:rollseyes Haha, thank you guys for answer one or all of these questions! (I assume the first two would be the easiest;-)

:chicken:

SVT4POP

Established Member
The answer to your first question is YES. To get the edition number of your '99 Cobra, you simply need to call 1-800-FORDSVT and give them your VIN#. Once you've got the vehicle registered and licensed with your state DMV if you fax the Ford - SVT people a copy of your registration they'll send you a spiffy owner's certificate.

Since your Cobra is a convertible, there were only 4128 of them in the '99 offering and are either black, white, red or green. There were slightly less of the Coupes made in '99, ... about 4040 or so. If you return to the home page at this site and click on "Vehicle Information" and scroll down to the box for the '99's there's more information.

Your engine with the fix has a legitimate 320 horsepower (at approximately 6000 rpm) at the flywheel and approximately 317 foot pounds of torque (at approximately 4570 rpm). The 4.6 litre (280 cubic inch), 4 valve dual overhead cam (dohc) configuration of the V-8 loves rpms and runs out about 6800 before you hit the rev. limiter (try not to do this too often) and the fuel shut off is about 7000 rpm. The engine is essentially an aluminum block differing from later models that went back to cast iron. It also has sequential electronic fuel injection and a twin bore 52mm throttle body in front of the tumble port intake manifold.

Your vehicle comes stock with 8.8" - 3.27 rear end gears which are fun but not considered a serious street or drag racing gear. The 5-speed manual stick shifted transmission is a Tremec T-45. The shift mechanism is O.K., but various aftermarket replacements give crisper shift action with most increasing the accuracy of a 2nd to 3rd gear shift.

Ford says the Cobra will go from 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds and trap times/speeds of 13.8 at 102 mph, but you may not get exactly that without some traction modifications. Top speed is around 150 mph, though on a dynamometer mine pegged past the 160 mph mark on the spedometer. The engine has no distributor and features a coil on plug application.

Your Cobra was most likely assembled at Ford's Romeo, Michigan engine plant but not on a traditional assembly line. Assuming you still have the stock intake manifold, you should be able to find a small 2" by 4" engraved plate with the name signitures of the two people (one team of 12) who built and tested your engine/car.

One of the more dubious features of your Cobra is the Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) which differs from the GT's which have "live" axles. This feature of the Cobra is loved by some and hated by others. Essentially it is good for sports car traction autocross racing but not the best (without some serious modifications to the suspension) for drag strip racing.

Your steering is power assisted rack and pinion and takes about 2.5 turns lock to lock depending on whether you have larger than the stock B.F. Goodrich 245 by 45 TA/ZR's that are usually on the stock 17 by 8" rims.

Interior appointments are adequate and most feature dark charcoal or light parchment leather seat and coverings, Mach 460 sound system with CD/TAPE/AM-FM and a basic anti-theft system (TATS).

That's most of it for now, check the web sites (key in "FORD COBRA" on Google.com and watch for the avalanche of responses.

I've found that when in third or fourth gear cruising at about 3500 rpm if you mash the gas pedal you'll get a feel for what a difference the 4 valve dohc cobra represents. With some of the affordable "bolt-ons" that are now available you can easily add about 30 more horsepower without going to a supercharger or nitrous power booster.

Have fun, you've got the right vehicle to do it in if your dad has taken decent care of it. I am a 56 year old dad who has a 25 year old son with a beautiful '94 GT, ... you can guess what happens when we go to the track.

Last edited:

CobraF/I

Established Member
:eek:

Wow, thanks! I really really appreciate your response and the time it must have taken you to right it! I'll send this out to my friend, referencing you of course. It will be greatly appreciated there too! THANKS!!

BTW, the Cobra was in the garage under a car cover for a year and some months. Haha, it's in great condition, now just needs to be run. :)

:chicken:

Users who are viewing this thread