Cobra will not start

slick4_6

Established Member
Anyone have any ideas as to why. When I hit the switch the starter just clicks. I replaced the starter with a brand new one and I still get the same thing. I can roll it off and it will start right up. Once it is started and running I can shut it down and restart it again over and over. Sometimes after it sits a few hours the starter just clicks and sometimes it will start right up. Could the relay cause it to act like this? Anyone had a similar problem.

jshertx

Established Member
I suffered from the same starting issue for about six months. I replaced starter 2x, battery, alternator, fuses, relay, and some switch on the steering column. It still had starting issues. Finally, my mechanic found the problem. The ground going to the engine block has issues. The steel bolt, and the aluminum block do not make a good ground. My mechanic took a new ground wire from the battery at attached it to a steel bracket near the serpentine belt. I think it's the power steering fluid bracket?? If you need me to check let me know, but it's the steel bracket closest to the battery. I no longer have starting issues, and it actually starts better than before.

slick4_6

Established Member
I suffered from the same starting issue for about six months. I replaced starter 2x, battery, alternator, fuses, relay, and some switch on the steering column. It still had starting issues. Finally, my mechanic found the problem. The ground going to the engine block has issues. The steel bolt, and the aluminum block do not make a good ground. My mechanic took a new ground wire from the battery at attached it to a steel bracket near the serpentine belt. I think it's the power steering fluid bracket?? If you need me to check let me know, but it's the steel bracket closest to the battery. I no longer have starting issues, and it actually starts better than before.

Thanks. I will look into it as soon as I get a chance. I tried wiggling all the wires on the top side that I could see but it is hard to get to the bottom side when it is not on a lift. That would make sense. All that had to be done sometimes was to shake the car a little bit and it would start.

Users who are viewing this thread