Cobra vs. Trailblazer SS vs. Chevelle SS

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
I have an 01 Cobra, mostly stock. My dad has a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 502 ci crate motor. This thing makes over 550 hp and 600 ft-lbs at the crank (with stock intake and exhaust manifolds). The Trailblazer SS makes about 350 stock at the wheels. But it is coming home from Synergy Motorsports today with a brand new Magnacharger. The other day it made 470 rwhp without a tune, the mechanic just bolted it onto the engine and ran it. Hopefully it will make over 500 at the wheels today. What do you guys think will be the faster, the Cobra or the Trailblazer? I think its safe to say that the Chevelle will still take both of them. Later on today I'll post the results of the TB vs. the Cobra. But the Chevelle will be in the shop for a few more days (switching the 3.42s for 3.73s) :rockon: Our neighbors love us :-D

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
haha no no he put the blower on and did the modifications required to make it run right, but this guy does custom tuning (best in the bay area) and he had not done all that before he dynoed it

Johnboy22

Established Member
As much as it pains me to say because the 1970 chevelle ss is my dream car and as much as I love cobras, but if the trailblazer is making that kind of power I think the cobra may not want any of it. As far as the chevelle, I think it should take out the trailblazer although a chevelle isn't exactly a lite car. I would think it would be a closer race than the cobra would be. I'm no expert on trailblazers by no means so i could be way off. Take some video when you guys get the chance to run them. I'd like to see how it turns out.

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
well the trailblazer weighs about 4500 lbs and the chevelle weighs about 4000-4100. the trailblazer's wight allows it to launch like a bottle rocket wile the chevelle tends to spin if you dump the clutch too fast (but thats not too hard to control). The reason i think the chevelle will still kill the trailblazer is that the TB will probably make about 460 ft-lbs at the wheels, and the chevelle as been dynoed at well over 600 ft-lbs. Plus it has a close ratio 4 speed. But it will be a hell of a race.
By the way, I'm not sure if I can get a video up right away but I'll work on it. I'll try to get all 3 cars racing side by side if i can... haha that would be bad ass :rockon:

rubber duck

Established Member
The trailblazer is a stoplight warrior, in any kind of a lenthly run the chevelle will run a train on it if it's making that much power and can hook it. I don't think a stockish '01 cobra will want much to do with either one of those cars.

EDIT-Just saw the chevelle's numbers were at the crank, should be a good run with the TBSS. I still don't think the Cobra will want any.;-)

Last edited:

c5 4 now

Do it from a dig
Established Member
I think the TB will take both of them. Chances are pretty good that it'll make more torque as well with the new tune. It may be close with the Chevelle though.

fastmach04

Established Member
Not even a question that a "mostly stock" Cobra will be the slowest of the three. But I also think the TB will have the edge over the Chevelle.

6D9

Established Member
If the 502 is stock it will runs mid to low 12's with decent tires. With a drag type suspension then maybe high 11's. The TB is gonna rip out of the hole but may get caught by the Chevelle by the end of the track. What kind of mods on the Cobra??? Are you planning on racing on the track or street??

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
Ok we just picked up the Trailblazer and sure enough it hauls ass :rockon: The numbers came out to 487 rwhp and 476 rwtq. The blower wine is awesome, not too high pitched and it sounds mean. The TB now pulls through 1st like a rocket (still no wheel hop) however, when it shifts into second the rpms drop just enough to notice a slow in the acceleration. I thought this was especially strange considering it is a roots type blower :shrug: but it quickly gets back into the quick acceleration. Me and my dad didn't race at all but judging form a seat-of-the-pants feel, the Chevelle would eat it alive while smoking the tires all the way down the street :burnout: Trust me, its the 500-600 lb difference as well as the Chevelle's torque. Surprisingly, we both agreed that once I put some money into the Cobra's suspension and do the 4.10s it will hold its own against the TBSS. It all comes down to the fact that it is a big heavy SUV. My dad has raced performance cars ever since he was my age and the first thing he said was "this doesn't feel like 480 horses, but whatever".
But damn, that thing is a sleeper. Before, if you wanted to do a standing burnout you had to really mash on the gas peddle. But now you dont even have to lean on it and you can smoke those tires all day long. It is ganna be one hell of a grocery-getter :coolman:
I'll try to get a video up when I can so hopefully somebody will believe me when I tell them that my stock Cobe can keep up with a 500 hp Trailblazer SS

bullitt890

Established Member
that trailblazer is going to rip your cobra, HARD. and unless the chevelle is setup for that power as far as suspension and tires, its going down as well.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Ok we just picked up the Trailblazer and sure enough it hauls ass :rockon: The numbers came out to 487 rwhp and 476 rwtq. The blower wine is awesome, not too high pitched and it sounds mean. The TB now pulls through 1st like a rocket (still no wheel hop) however, when it shifts into second the rpms drop just enough to notice a slow in the acceleration. I thought this was especially strange considering it is a roots type blower :shrug: but it quickly gets back into the quick acceleration. Me and my dad didn't race at all but judging form a seat-of-the-pants feel, the Chevelle would eat it alive while smoking the tires all the way down the street :burnout: Trust me, its the 500-600 lb difference as well as the Chevelle's torque. Surprisingly, we both agreed that once I put some money into the Cobra's suspension and do the 4.10s it will hold its own against the TBSS. It all comes down to the fact that it is a big heavy SUV. My dad has raced performance cars ever since he was my age and the first thing he said was "this doesn't feel like 480 horses, but whatever".
But damn, that thing is a sleeper. Before, if you wanted to do a standing burnout you had to really mash on the gas peddle. But now you dont even have to lean on it and you can smoke those tires all day long. It is ganna be one hell of a grocery-getter :coolman:
I'll try to get a video up when I can so hopefully somebody will believe me when I tell them that my stock Cobe can keep up with a 500 hp Trailblazer SS
IMO, 4.10s and suspension on your Cobra aren't going to get you close to the TBSS..

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Your Cobra has no chance at all against a SC 487hp TBSS. The Chevelle and TBSS would be fun to watch. Both are bricks and are heavy....depending on gearing I'd give the edge to the Chevelle but not by much- if the TB is AWD it would kill it from a dig though.

Last edited:

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
if the TB is AWD it would kill it from a dig though.

The Trailblazer is RWD but has zero wheel hop. You just stomp on the gas and it goes without even a squeak.
The Chevelle has a Muncie 4 speed close ratio tranny and 265 mm BFG radials (stock looking) The suspension is by no means a drag set up. But, much like the TB it has enough weight over the rear tires to get a good launch.
Hopefully I can put some race results up by the end of today.

6D9

Established Member
The Trailblazer is RWD but has zero wheel hop. You just stomp on the gas and it goes without even a squeak.
The Chevelle has a Muncie 4 speed close ratio tranny and 265 mm BFG radials (stock looking) The suspension is by no means a drag set up. But, much like the TB it has enough weight over the rear tires to get a good launch.
Hopefully I can put some race results up by the end of today.

With regular BFG ta's and a 4 speed I think the Chevelle is dead meat from a dig. It should be tire smoke city from the velle. I am a diehard old school muscle guy.....but looks like the TBSS has the edge on this one.

I would like to get a race in with the Chevelle.......:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread