Cobra vs STi on a road course

outlawphotoguy

Established Member
I know this is a re-post but someone said they could not find the original thread for it. I found it and noticed the link was down for the vid so I uploaded it to my streetfire account and here it is re-hosted in all its glory. I won't host just anything on my account so you guys know if I host it, it's worth the download. I believe it's a 99 Cobra. Way cool vid........62.7MB

CLICK HERE

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
cool video. Just goes to show that cobras can hold their own on a road course, even against an STI. It looked like the cobra driver may have been a better driver, and the STI had more power to pull ahead through the straights.

PARALYZER

Unatural Aspirations
Established Member
Why do people trip on reposts? Not everyone sits in this forum refreshing every minute to see whats new. There are going to be reposts....so what. Just like there are going to be post about "whats the best CAI?" Most of the vids I see for the first time are reposts....So I am glad

HIErPwRd

Established Member
i started a thread with these runs a couple months ago...
someone had said that the guy in the new edge was buddies with dude in the sti...
im sure he could have ran his car harder, but impressive runs none the less...
thanks for the rehost :)

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
BAD 97 WS-6 said:
Why do people trip on reposts? Not everyone sits in this forum refreshing every minute to see whats new. There are going to be reposts....so what. Just like there are going to be post about "whats the best CAI?" Most of the vids I see for the first time are reposts....So I am glad

yeah some people overreact sometimes....altough I wish I had $10 for eveytime someone posts a link to that forum where supposedly shows how the next cobra will look like...then I'd be a rich man...I would post a link to it but mostlikely everyone knows what im talking about

bossman429

Established Member
First time seeing it for me.... wish i had the $$$ to road race. But im a broke college student so o well ill wait.

Was wondering why the STI pulled in the straights, then i realized its not an 03 cobra but a 99

What areas must be upgraded on stangs to road race safely and without blowing something up or ruining stock stuff. Does the cooling system have to be upgraded? just curious

03gobluecobra said:
cool video. Just goes to show that cobras can hold their own on a road course, even against an STI. It looked like the cobra driver may have been a better driver, and the STI had more power to pull ahead through the straights.

Looks more like he was on a sunday drive...He was not really pushing that car very hard at all! :shrug:
That was not an 03 (wonder how that would have turned out)
Chances are if there would have been money on the line...He would have been much faster and agressive in the turns!

outlawphotoguy

Established Member
bossman429 said:
First time seeing it for me.... wish i had the $$$ to road race. But im a broke college student so o well ill wait.

Was wondering why the STI pulled in the straights, then i realized its not an 03 cobra but a 99

What areas must be upgraded on stangs to road race safely and without blowing something up or ruining stock stuff. Does the cooling system have to be upgraded? just curious

Remember guys, 99% of the 'road racing' vids we see isn't actually 'racing', it's usually considered 'lapping day' with 'let-by' zones on the track. It requires an extreme amount of insurance if you actually are 'racing'. So most clubs have 'lapping day' or 'track day' where you don't pass unless you are waved by, it becomes more of a gentlemenly type of driving instead of an all-out competition. It's still real easy to find out who's faster. If you go 5 laps and the same guy is behind you the whole time, let him by and you'll quickly find out he is faster. Also, everyone is at a different level of experience and skill and is willing to push their cars harder than the next guy. If you want to experience this first hand just enter a local autocross and take a ride with the 'fast guy' then try it for yourself. It's quite a humbling experience. By the way, get good at autocross before you try road racing.

Go to www.scca.org and click 'find a region near you', it's cheaper than you think to get started.

Also, one rule of thumb is horsepower=heat so if you have a stock vehicle, a stock cooling system is usually fine. A cooler thermostat is a great idea though. I run a 160 t-stat and a 3-core rad with alot of bolt-ons. After a few laps my temp creeps up to 180 so I kick on my heater on full and after a 20 minute session my temp is sitting at 190-200. It used to get near 220 with a 180 t-stat. One last thing, the best thing you can do to improve the handling of your car is = TIRES.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Neat little vid. Repost, repost, guys sound like little bitches. I've already seen it and it's my basketball and am going home.

FaM

Established Member
Want03Cobra said:
nice vid...but was he really really pushing it?....it didn't seem like it to me...well then again I don't really know about racing in a road course so be easy on me... :pepper:

you are right, he coulda went faster by the sound of it, but if you run it wide open your gonna end up facing traffic more often than not, plus this guy wasnt in a sponsored race or anything, these folks gotta drive these things home so no sense in getting totalled. Honestly im proud of the cobra.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
FaM said:
you are right, he coulda went faster by the sound of it, but if you run it wide open your gonna end up facing traffic more often than not, plus this guy wasnt in a sponsored race or anything, these folks gotta drive these things home so no sense in getting totalled. Honestly im proud of the cobra.

yeah that's what I was thinking too....the cobra was gaining on the STi when they were going straight....(hope this doesn't turn into a cobra is only faster going straight flame war)

Users who are viewing this thread